B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You gotta be able to take some ribbing round here, especially being british. Unfortunately no one knows what you like or how your hear things. For me to suggest something to you, I would have to know these things. I can only suggest what i have listend to. The only B1 I have listened to is the DCB1 with no caps. It is quiet and focused adding little to the sound other than a dead quiet background. It has some affect on the sound, but seems to be minimal when compared to other preamps i have tried. I get a much large change in sound switching power amp stages over preamp. My other pre is Borbely all Jfet from his articles. DCB1 bested this very good amp in detail, imaging, and dynamics. If your room is big enough, the soundstage depth is wonderful. It does not push teh music out in front of the speakers in my setup. This is my biggest complaint. Nothing wrong with it, but this is just not the signature that it leaves on the music. I can manipulate this at the power amp stage using IRF fets vs laterals. This gives it a little bloom but sacrifices tone and accuracy. I am making the point that there are a lot of variables and caps are just one of many.

I'm happy to experiment but there is only so much abuse that the PCB can take before it starts to delaminate.

After spending a small fortune on a number of capacitor options I was hoping that someone might say - Dont use those they are awful.

I've already opted for the Obbligato PIOs for the 10uF outputs.

I was trying to find out what the difference is between a WIMA MKS4 and a WIMA MKP4 ?

Yes - I am going to do some homework on the Internet myself too.

OK.

MKS4 is POLYESTER
MKP4 is POLYPROPYLENE.

There may be some improvement by simply trying any POLYPROP in place of the current MKS4's.

I've got some AudioPhiler 1uF Polyprops but they were slated in a previous post.

I've also got some WIMA MKP4 1uF 750V but they are HUGE compared with the MKS4 400V.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqQOKjIE6T!Usgo,BOl9D9q5mw~~60_12.jpg
    $(KGrHqQOKjIE6T!Usgo,BOl9D9q5mw~~60_12.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 281
  • cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 267
Last edited:
As you can appreciate - drilling extra holes in a populated PCB in order to accomodate larger caps is very intrusive. I'm hoping to make an intuitive decision before I go destroying the board.

YES - I know, ones mans poison is another mans elixer.

But RAT POISON is poisonous to everyone.

I really appreciate the suggested reading. I may have mislead you with my explanation of the sound of the DCB1. Using my current setup of DCB1->BA3 FE->BA3 output with Renasas laterals, the sound is excellent, with wide soundstage, pinpoint imaging, and excellent dynamic range. The laterals have a very natural and musical tone that i love. They do not have any forward bloom and this is my only gripe. If i change the BA3 output to my second copy with IRF fets, i get a more forward sound,but sacrifice tone, imaging and seperation. They both have their merits, but i prefer the lats. I am going to spend some time trying to tweak them. I believe it is very possible to improve the final sound. I think the phase is a non issue,but admit that i am a noob and heed advice given by others. It is something i will be more aware of now.

If addressing me, i am using the Alpair 7's from Mark Audio. It is album dependant, but i am usually listening at 2-6 o'clock. I know ii could use more gain, but will berunning balanced soon, so i will get it then. I believe the BA3 FE has 9-10dB of gain. Your 6v6 should be just right. I hope to listen to his larger 10.2's in new cabinets this weekend. They are about2-3 dB more efficient.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.