B1 builders thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been busy with my 2 full time jobs, new house 1 year old daughter and my computer hobby & networking.

Pictures.

Picture of the board & 2 pots. One pot is for the B1, the other is for a Passive pre-amp im going to build.

It's in a spare case that a friend made me, for testing propose..

Those caps look suspiciously like the ones I posted in post #314.

I just wonder if the guys in Hong Kong are selling them cheap or are they selling cheap clones ?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I do prefer true pots for smoothness too, still in a DCB1 I preferred carbon to plastic but it had not good channel matching so a 21 step make before brake SMT cheapo switcher was a good compromise in the end. And cleanest of all sounding.

One of the valve threads refer to a site that sells a switched attenuator.
It has a single 6step coarse setting switch in the middle. You can select the relative attenuation of the steps. This is preceded with a pair of 12step fine settings switches either side of the central master switcher. This fine setting can adopt any attenuation per step to fill in the gaps between the coarse settings. Three cheap 12 pole switches giving 71 levels of attenuation and works as an effective fine balance control as well.

Try searching Glassware or Aikido.

Or three very high quality switches and build a copy yourself:
two single pole 12way and one double pole 6way and a selection of good resistors.

Last edited:
Newbie here, with a few questions.

Here's my potential set up:

Cd>P-1A (re-clocker)>P-3A(DAC) (both powered with Monolithic ps)>B1>power amp

Here are some specs for my power amp:

Input impedance R=25K ohms
C=1.0nF

Input sensitivity for 1W/100W out 70mV/700mV

Voltage gain 40x (32db)

Also, the output for the DAC is 2.5 volts, output impedance is 100 ohms, input impedance is 75 ohm.

I guess my question is, where to put the buffer: would I install the buffer after the volume control...?

Thank you,

df

OK. I've cut corners with my B1.

Where do you think the greatest impact will be in improving it.

My Transformer is minimal - only 15VA it does feed a MASSIVE capacitive multiplier and then is regulated. There is NO noise on the B1 at all.

C100/200 are simple WIMA MKS4 1uF

C101/201 are 2 x 4.7uF Metalised Polypropylene Drops of unknown origin (Ebay)

I've ordered some 33uF Mundorf Caps to replace C101 and C102, these are bypassed with 1n5 Polystyrene.

This thing is BLACK AS THE ACE OF SPADES sonically. It is SILENT. The BASS is nice and TIGHT but the MID/HIGH just needs to have a bit of sparkle added to it.

I'm also hoping to get some 1u5 Auricaps to replace C100 and C200.

Attachments

• DSIR9301.JPG
    DSIR9301.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 33uF Cap.jpg
    33uF Cap.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Output cap is greatest opportunity for affecting sound. I would suggest Obbligato Oil as quality inexpensive choice. Get a bigger trafo and drop regulator and build as Nelson designed or try DCB1 for what i believe is an upgrade. The B1 is not really suppose to change or add anything, at least that is the concept.

Read a review of the B1 on some of the review sites. I have never heard it described as anything other than transparent. I can assure you it is not limiting your upper end, as it has extremely wideband response. It may be revealing other shortcomings in your signal chain. I suggest building as recommended only because that is the only way to truly judge its performance. Other than doing this, cap and component choice is your only tweak.

The First Watt Model B1 Buffer Preamplifier Operating at the speed limit! Review By Dick Olsher

B1 in front end

6moons audio reviews: Pass Labs INT-150

Perhaps you are realizing that your previous pre was coloring the sound a great deal more than you were aware of.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I found that MKP1837 caps as a bypass work well. Also I prefered The B1 with a battery supply compared to both a wall wart or smps and as you say noise was never a problem with the B1.
Currently I use either a TVC or a DCB1 with an LDR volume control both with excellent top to bottom performance.

Last edited:
I'm driving an Aleph 4 which sounds perfect with nothing in the signal chain..

At the input is an Arcam CD36.. again transparent.

Caps it is then.

Why do some guys recommend massive transformers, and others regulators ?

the B1 only draws 20mA at 18V. Allowing for losses and LEDs lets say 100mA at 18V.

A 15VA transformer is WELL OVERSPEC for a 1.8VA load ?

I think the transformer has more to play at LF. At HF I'm going for the output caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.