Newbie needs help.I want2build a Pass amp!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need direction to where i can get the instructions and part list.And if possible where to buy all the stuff.Also step by step,not so technical instructions on how to put it all together.
I saw the x250 Passlab amp and I like it very much.I need at least 200w/ch .For my self built and upgraded SMGa Maggies I just completed.My mc2105 is not enough power for them.And i can't afford a high end amp.But might be able to afford to build 1.;-}.
I'm pretty much a fart smella,opps,I mean smart fella.LOL
If the x250 is not available.Can you direct me to some thing in the same category? My experience is from 1 electronic class 15 years ago in HS.I built a car and house alarm from scratch.Including making the pcb board just with the negative .Acid wash and drilled holes.I cant make my own board now ,dont have access to that equipment.but i think i can assemble a amp.
I need a "DIY amps for Dummies" type of kit.
Please supply me the links for this type of project.
Thank you kindly,Chris

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I don't think you'll find anything here 'step by step' for that kind of load. The X250 schematics have not been released to the public. You can start with F5, it's well documented, but won't play at loud levels with your speakers I'm guessing. If you've never built an amp before, the best way to start IMHO is to build the Zen amp. It won't drive your speaks well, but it's a spring board for future projects.

Lots of reading:
Pass DIY: Articles/Projects

Last edited:
I want something ,i have to put together myself.not just plug in boards.I want to solder the resistor and diodes and the components myself.As long as the board is labeled for each component.I will be able to find said component and solder down.There is a mono amp on the diy PASS site .But that would be too small.
My electronic teacher told me the same thing when I wanted to build a house alarm.3 days later I had him ordering me a car alarm.I was the only 1 to do those projects.after the 3rd week he had me fixing the VCRs that he use to during class.That was his side job.Mr.Goldstein,he was my favorite teacher.
I was thinking PASS,because it is an amplifier I would never be able to afford.And I know they are kick-azs clean amps.I also like the amps with the light bulbs on top.Those bulbs dont serve a s a function in the amps circuitry.Do they?? either way I thought they were kool looking and impressive.
Any idea were i can get the info and links for those kits?Im pretty good at figuring things out myself.I sort of understand schematics.I know all the symbols.I use to know how to read resistors,with the color line .I just have to get the chart for that.
Even if i get stuck a little ,I got you guys right?I might surprise you people.I did in the Magnepan forums.I was the only 1 who changed the mylar themselves.Know I have ppl writing me asking questions.And i earned my respect from the big-pins there.
This will give me a reason to buy and learn how to use an osciliscope.And maybe how to spell it correctly too.:-].I been reading a lot about caps,and how they work also x-over networks.Im close to understanding it all.the degrees and phase still got me baffled:confused:.i cut out of my Trig. class back in HS.thought i would never use that stuff.But now i see why Trig.is needed. no big deal I will teach myself the math again.I 'm a wiz ;)with numbers.
Any info will be greatly appreciated.preferably links.I just want to build an amp. that would be respected thoughout the audiophile community.Sort of like the older Dynaco tube amps.I have a set of Mark IV's completely updated.But they ,too,are too weak for the planar speakers.But what sound comes out of them.
i have pictures at brooklyn758 (Chris Zambrotta) | MySpace - myspace.com/brooklyn758
Just give me a chance here:(,i'll learn quick and move up in the ranks .Thank you all for your time and replies.it means a lot .
Thank you kindly,
Chris The "Beginner from Brooklyn" and the "low budget audiophile":eek:LOL

I would build the F5 first. Then once you got that one going, then have a look at building either Aleph 0 or A75
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/a75p1.pdf
http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/a75p2.pdf

It is going to be expensive to build a Class A amp capable of 200W. Cheaper than buying one but still expensive.
I would limit myself to 60W class A and the rest of the 200W in Class AB

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Those bulbs dont serve a s a function in the amps circuitry.Do they??

Yes, they do, they sort of are the CCS (constant current source).
They first apeared here: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/zenlite.pdf
You can also find bulbs is the Zen V8: http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/ZV8_power_jfet.pdf
And more recently in the DeLite: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/153832-pass-delite-amp-baf.html

200W in class A is going to be big, bulky, heavy and hot.

(and please, put blanks between your sentences, it'd be easier to read)

How about the Pass A30 or A60? You might find someone at this forum selling these boards. I've build numerous Zens from all generations V1-V5 and finally an A30. The A30 is the only one I have kept though. Don't need anything else.
The good thing about these pass amps is that if you just make it exactly as on paper it'll work like a charm. There is nothing to set or tune. You only need a voltmeter to check bias voltages before you plug in a speaker.
The good thing about the Zen and aleph series is that you can recycle a lot of parts (for instance the expensive power supply if you start with a beefy one) when you decide to make another variation.

Have you considered your room acoustics? There are also a lot of Magnepan mods that may help (assuming you haven't already done them). A quick google search might be in order.

Is it possible your amp isn't performing to rated specs and needs service? just a thought. I can't really offer much else as I'm more of a low-power afficianado.

If you are a truly fearless beginner, check out the Aleph 4. The heatsinks alone will cost you several hundreds of dollars, but it is no more complicated than the smaller Alephs, it just uses more of everything. Don't underestimate the amount of heat you will be dealing with.

If you're looking for something easy to build, check out the ESP website and look up the P101. Plenty of info on that site to chew on too.

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. Let me just ask 1 thing . What am I looking at in terms of price? can you just give me an idea . From the lower projects, to the Aleph 4.
Sorry about my grammar. That was 1 of my worst subjects. Also I hate typing. But let me tell you ,if I was writing this freehand. I would not even be able to understand it.Lol
My Mc2105 is a class AB amp? I think class A 1 transistor pushes.And another pulls.Is that correct? And a AB class the same transistor does both jobs. A class A amp is suppose to be the best sounding? My Mc2105 sounds pretty good to me. But my Dynaco mark 4s are little more cleaner and exciting. I'm new at this audiophile stuff,so I can't really tell the difference between the class of amp. As far as just listening . Separation and clarity is probably most important to me. Would these amps sound better then the Mcintosh 2105? I 'll be honest I never heard any of the high end stuff except for the stuff I came by.So in actuality I never heard a high end system. I just want to be able to build a amp that is going to sound better then what I have. So I can get a taste of the better stuff.

I had a suggestion. The F4 can be paralleled for 100 W into 2 ohms, or bridged for 100 W into 8 ohms. A single F4 is 25W into 8 ohms, class A.

Build one, get it working. Since this is DIY, oversize the power transformer to 600 VA or more. Try it. If it isn't enough, build the other one and bridge them. You should be able to build an F4 south of 500 clams.

Its documented, there may still be boards available, and its simple.
The only thing to consider is having a preamp with enough gain.

Here is a link to the manual. http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/f4_om.pdf

Your class A question is answered by, it depends.
Here is another link http://www.firstwatt.com/downloads/leaving_class_a.pdf
My personal opinion is that class A is a powerful design tool. No more or less.

HTH

Doug

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.