Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks Stefanobilliani for looking.
From the altered F2 schematic, I removed the output resistors since the DeLite doesn't use them, all other thinkings looking somewhat similiar.
your right about the self-biasing bit, so self biases I belive with the 20R light bulb resistor, or 100-200watts of power resistors.
So maybe the CCS isn't in it's correct element here. But I am not sure I understand your reaction.

In my pic, C1's polarity is backwards. Oops.
I was also considering this since in F2, C4 acts as a slow turn on. That was one of my goals.

I believe the resistance of the lightbulb gives this amp an output impedience
of ~20 ohms with the light bulb doing double duty acting as a curent source and
adding some damping factor like the bank of resistors in the F2. Replacing
it with a ccs will up the output power but leave us with a pure current source
amp without any damping factor.

More , since the Dfets are selfbiasing , why not try the ccs with them ?

Hey Stefano,

That it not an option as the FET already sets the current. Two different wills trying to set the standard:).

But the close relative to a CCS, the gyrator will work as this one is an AC-CCS and a DC constant voltage source.

This will rise the Zout considerably as the RDC of the bulbs almost alone sets the Zout of the present design. So not an option after all.

My "en"lite

No depletion, but IRFP240. Anyway, it sounds pretty good, even nicer to look at (other lights off). Transistor biasing ala F2 but resistors value are 10X larger since only these are available in my junk tray. Does larger value biasing resistor affect performance?

BTW, reason for choosing depletion transistor is just for ease of biasing or because of its special sonic attribute? Can anyone share their experience with both delite and enlite comparison.

Attachments

• 297.jpg
    297.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 769
  • 287.jpg
    287.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 748
  • delite.png
    delite.png
    21 KB · Views: 764
  • 296.jpg
    296.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 757
Hey Stefano,

That it not an option as the FET already sets the current. Two different wills trying to set the standard:).

Hello ,
Does not happens also in Zen V9 the same thing , the jfet
are selfbiasing , and the current source current has somewhat to be trimmed
for best results ?

If the light bulbs set the Zout , why not the CCS at the same place plus a resistor output -ground as seen many times in the Zen series .

The resistor also helps a lot to equalize the response of the driver , an effect that I like a lot .

Hi,

I am listening to this thing and woaw!!!

I am using a Quickie from Bottlehead (active preamp on batteries) and I hooked a pair of back loaded horns based on the Fostex 206 es-r . Right now, I am listening to "You Look Good To Me" (Oscar Peterson trio) and this is really wonderful!!!!

I had some problems (slow blow fuse blowing once in awhile), and the bias pots are 99 cents a piece and it shows.... But I am very pleased with this.

I will demo this to the Montreal diy show of April 24, along with other brothers in arms of the local diy community. Some have created variances on the same theme...

I might get sponsored by a sun screen lotion or sunglass company (or both), the light being so intense!

;o)

Thank you for another fun opportunity Mr Pass!

Am I hallucinating?

OK, so I finally decide to build the De-lite. Got it going no problem. Spend a day listening in my workshop then a day listening in my sun room with no problems. I brought the amp in tonight and hooked it to my Bride of Zen and Hawthorne Duets. I have a pair of t-line subs using plate amps. I put the amps in the floor one near each sub - about 8" away. Most everything sounded great except for Patricia Barber's - Ode to Billy Joe. One channel of the amp started buzzing slightly when the bass hit certain notes. I kept working trying to track the buzzing down. I finally touched the amp to see if it was hot and the buzzing diminished. I moved the amp a foot away and the buzzing totally quit. Can those light bulbs suffer from microphonics or have I just lost my mind?

TNX

Jeff

BTW - Hanging with NP is a love/hate relationship. I just kicked my McCormack DNA-1 to the sunroom and am having to start a F5, Aleph 30....something! hehe j/k At least it keeps me out of trouble. Oops, wife demanding attention. ttyl