Pass "DeLite" Amp from BAF

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
As Zen Mod said, the difference is due to the Enhacement mode device and the depletion mode device characteristics. The Pic you show uses the 'ol standby enhacement mode device. It needs about 4V G-S to turn on to some idle current. The G-D R and the G-Gnd R create a voltage devider which provides about that level at the gate node.
The IXYS Depletion mode device would be on with a few amps flowing through it without any bias at all. The G-D R is not needed. In fact almost no bias voltage at the gate is needed. It just so happens this device will provide a reasonable idle current with the Gate at about Gnd potential. Much like JFETs.
Now I want to ask a question. :) The 10k R from G-S is a little interesting. I haven't given it enough thought yet obviously but it does more than give the amp an input resistance. It is tied to the Source R which will create some Positive feedback :confused: Is this one of those distortion cancelling methods?

The source resistance provides some local feedback to linearize the amp. But it also raises the source voltage, so to keep the Vgs at around zero potential for automagically biasing at the right Id, the gate has to be 'lifted up' to the source, hence the 10k.
But the signal at the source is (almost) as high as at the gate so there is very little signal across that 10k so to the input it looks much larger than 10k. This is called 'bootstrapping the input impedance' and it is indeed a form of pos feedback, but not error cancellation.

jd

...doesn't a mosfet need close to rail voltage at input to achieve full operation. There is no voltage amplification.
Tad

An Enhancement Mode MOSFET is generally considered to be "Fully Enhanced" or turned on to it's rated Rdson value with 10V Gate - Source. Generally speaking, more than 20V G-S and you are on the edge of breaking down the oxide between the gate and the chanell creating "magic smoke". Very often a zener diode will be seen G-S which protects the device from ever having to much G-S Voltage and blowing up.
It would be considered in the linear mode at around 4V G-S for the IRFP240 and the same for the IXYS part would be at about 0V

The source resistance provides some local feedback to linearize the amp.
Well, I agree here but, not if the 10k is connected above the 1 ohm Source R. Only if the 1 ohm is subjected to Source current and signal with the 10k refrenced to Gnd?

But it also raises the source voltage, so to keep the Vgs at around zero potential for automagically biasing at the right Id, the gate has to be 'lifted up' to the source, hence the 10k.
I'm thinking the G-S Voltage will remain close to constant and the Source and Gate will raise and lower with the current change through the Source R.

But the signal at the source is (almost) as high as at the gate so there is very little signal across that 10k so to the input it looks much larger than 10k. This is called 'bootstrapping the input impedance' and it is indeed a form of pos feedback, but not error cancellation.
jd

O.K. Still thinking. I'm used to typical signal levels (+- 1V) causing cliping or something in a circuit like this and maybe without this arangement that might be happening?:headbash:

Actually, the faint-of-heart is the target audience, and they
will end up like you.

In that case, I think I'll pass, Mr. Pass... :joker:

Now seriously, for those who, like me, have not the chance to go to BAF, how does this amp compare to the other new projects like F5 and J2...not to know which one to build but to know which one to build FIRST! :D

Thanks,
M

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You will have to forgive the occasional lapse.

I have a purchasing manager, a big budget, and indulgent
business partners, so I don't think twice about ordering up
two different types of parts, or even the antique light bulbs.

That entices me to forget that not everyone is so blessed.

On the other hand, somebody needs to do it, if only to
provide vicarious entertainment. A little adventure won't
hurt you at 5% of the price of audiophile interconnects.

:cool:

I put 300 watt incandescent bulbs in Google and got quite a few hits for around 5 dollars U.S each. I do not think they really care where they ship them too.
The bulbs in the in the BAF pictures look about 300 watts or they are huge 150's. It seems DIY Audio makes lots of heat.
If anyone is having problems sourcing this part I will gladly buy a few dozen and distribute them. The ceramic bases are extremely common. Hundreds of old apartment buildings here have these bulbs hanging from the ceiling on all of the hallways. Green earth is just starting to catch on in the U.S.

Nelson, any idea when the article will be published for this amp?

Tad

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member

Actually, the faint-of-heart is the target audience, and they
will end up like you.

:cool:

ya really need more than one spoiled kid , crying for adoption ?

:rofl:

I promise - if you (finally) adopt me , you'll see me only when you decide to visit your Ark ......

:devily:

Attachments

• Papa's.jpg
    Papa's.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 1,421