IXYS depletion MOSFETs: What are they good for? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd October 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Default IXYS depletion MOSFETs: What are they good for?

O.K. I think we've all seen the Depletion Mode MOSFET Zen Lite variant displayed by N.P. at BA'09. Personally, I did not know that part existed? But, it appears to have some quite conveniant qualities:
Suitable Voltage rating, Current rating, self biasing like the LU1014D, "Idss" of about 2.5A, Rthjc .31 C/W, plenty of S.O.A., fairly linear C in our typical operating range, and by all accounts so far, fairly linear and good sounding. Oh yea, affordable price in small enough orders. Did I miss something?
I'm not so interested in another Zen Lite but as I've seen recently, I'm not the only one interested in creating a monster B1 circuit. I was thinking of paralelled LU1014Ds with car battery rails. This device can take that idea further and easier as Paul Hynes did a few years ago (someone posted an AudioCircle link around here somewhere). I've also played with the Circlotron circuit quite a bit and it's very nice but, with self biasing and ground refrenced input as Paul Hynes has already done also wow
Personally, I can't wait to play with this part. There is a GB thread started to research the interest in obtaining some.
So, I thought I'ld get us all started on a discussion for everyone's benifit. Oh, yea, another great quality, N.P. seems to like this part too...
Any other comments? questions? previous experiance? Ideas?
Old 25th October 2009, 07:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Just a few examples of simplied circuits that could use these devices... I'm sure you recognize them

And the interesting thread regarding these parts by Paul Hynes from another forum

Two simple Current Amplifiers for low impedance loads
Attached Images
File Type: gif Depletion Zen.GIF (2.7 KB, 791 views)
File Type: gif Depletion Monster B1.GIF (3.2 KB, 778 views)
Old 25th October 2009, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I couldn't attach the third one
Here it is...
Attached Images
File Type: gif Depletion SOZ.GIF (3.4 KB, 771 views)

Last edited by flg; 25th October 2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 25th October 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
The one and only

The part I used on the BAF example was the IXYS
IXTH20N50D which has about 1.25A current with a 0
Gate voltage.

Old 25th October 2009, 08:42 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I don't mean to misslead anyone or anyhing but first I must say this: I've done some data sheet tests myself, mostly because my Boss always responds to my reasoning gathered from datasheets with "Data Sheets Lie".
Having said that, I realized recently that I have 2 copies of the datasheet for this device. One of them from 2006??? And the other is current on the IXYS website(2009). I may not have been thoughtfull enough with looking at them? or posting accurately.
I have one other peice of info I was going by. The Link I posted refrencing Paul Hynes work states that in his application, at his temps etc. he see's about 2.5A.
All in all, I think it's a very interesting part and I would not even know about it's existance without The One And Only sharing with us. Thanks Nelson.

Last edited by flg; 25th October 2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 26th October 2009, 08:18 PM   #6
The one and only

I ran across it somewhere in this site, so of course I just
bought some.

Old 27th October 2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Nevod is offline Nevod  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nevod
flg
These circuits look tube-ish.. easy to understand.
Old 27th October 2009, 08:21 AM   #8
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"I ran across it somewhere in this site, so of course I just
bought some."

I asked about them 5 May 2006 here (#16):

The New-Tron
Old 27th October 2009, 09:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

My intentions for this or a similar depletion MOSFET will be tubish, involving a transformer, 250V, and some JFET accomplices. Unlike tubes, a big, fat heat sink gets tossed in...
Old 28th October 2009, 03:41 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Isn't there a somewhat popular, classic maybe, Zen-like amp that uses an output transformer and a MOSFET? I don't recall the name obviously but it has somewhat of a reputation?

Hide this!Advertise here!