IXYS depletion MOSFETs: What are they good for?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
O.K. I think we've all seen the Depletion Mode MOSFET Zen Lite variant displayed by N.P. at BA'09. Personally, I did not know that part existed? But, it appears to have some quite conveniant qualities:
Suitable Voltage rating, Current rating, self biasing like the LU1014D, "Idss" of about 2.5A, Rthjc .31 C/W, plenty of S.O.A., fairly linear C in our typical operating range, and by all accounts so far, fairly linear and good sounding. Oh yea, affordable price in small enough orders. Did I miss something?
I'm not so interested in another Zen Lite but as I've seen recently, I'm not the only one interested in creating a monster B1 circuit. I was thinking of paralelled LU1014Ds with car battery rails. This device can take that idea further and easier as Paul Hynes did a few years ago (someone posted an AudioCircle link around here somewhere). I've also played with the Circlotron circuit quite a bit and it's very nice but, with self biasing and ground refrenced input as Paul Hynes has already done also wow :)
Personally, I can't wait to play with this part. There is a GB thread started to research the interest in obtaining some.
So, I thought I'ld get us all started on a discussion for everyone's benifit. Oh, yea, another great quality, N.P. seems to like this part too...
Any other comments? questions? previous experiance? Ideas?

Attachments

• Depletion Zen.GIF
    Depletion Zen.GIF
    2.7 KB · Views: 977
  • Depletion Monster B1.GIF
    Depletion Monster B1.GIF
    3.2 KB · Views: 970
I don't mean to misslead anyone or anyhing but first I must say this: I've done some data sheet tests myself, mostly because my Boss always responds to my reasoning gathered from datasheets with "Data Sheets Lie".
Having said that, I realized recently that I have 2 copies of the datasheet for this device. One of them from 2006??? And the other is current on the IXYS website(2009). I may not have been thoughtfull enough with looking at them? or posting accurately.
I have one other peice of info I was going by. The Link I posted refrencing Paul Hynes work states that in his application, at his temps etc. he see's about 2.5A.
All in all, I think it's a very interesting part and I would not even know about it's existance without The One And Only sharing with us. Thanks Nelson.

Last edited:
Let us know when you figure out the name... The use of a depletion mode FET simplifies the design and makes it more tube-like in concept, if not in sound. I prefer to view the Ixys depletion mode fets as pentodes without heaters and extra annoying pins. Treating them as such may prove to be interesting.

I nosed around a bit in the forums devoted to Hiraga's works, and haven't seen mention of a transformer coupled amp yet (not that that means a whole lot). The concept is so obvious, I can't believe no one's done it before. The addition of a deplection mode output device adds a touch of innovation, but not a whole lot, Anyway, it's an excuse to dust off the pair of One Electron UBT-1s that have been gathering dust, because this application is made to order for them.

Hiraga Amp

Hiraga's SE Mosfet amp (called the Nemisis) from memory used a Hitachi lateral mosfet (2SK135) and an output transformer (64 ohm primary winding). The mosfet had 1A of current running through it. So I think the UBT-1 would be well cooked, even fried. Also if you check Bonavolt's website you should find a circuit of the Nemisis there. Hope this helps.

Regards

Ejam

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sorry, got the spelling wrong, it should be "Nemesis". Jan Didden at Linear Audio has a few words about rebuilding one of these amps. Try http://www.linearaudio.nl/nemesis-1.htm

The original output transformer is no longer available, but I have a prototype from another manufacturer on order. As soon as I get it, I will test it in the original Nemesis and with one of these depletion mode MOSFETs. I'll keep you guys posted.

I am currently using the ECF10N16 from Exicon, but the new device should make the circuit even simpler. Maybe even beat Nelson at his own game ;)

jd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.