Next Zen designs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
IXYS vs IRF

The curiosity got the better of me.
Here is a zen circuit using IRFP240 and IXYS linear device
Top of the screen is IRFP240
Bottom of screen is IXYS Linear Mosfet (Enhancement Mode)

Attachments

• irf vs ixys.JPG
    irf vs ixys.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 428
Such speculation. I have a number of new JFETs and
MOSFETs, some enhancement, some depletion. All high
voltage and power.

Realistically, the winner will be the one with the lowest
distortion in a simple circuit.

:cool:

I'm going hedge my bet then, if it's not a power JFET, it's a MOSFET that looks and behaves like a JFET :D

hmmmm, now I'm even more curious.

If it's not a simple case of swapping in and out different devices then we must have different devices wearing different hats. A power JFET below and something different for the current load ?

Or an attempt to go a step further than your 'sweet spot' article, combining two devices with different characteristics to achieve a 'super sweet spot' perhaps ?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If it's not a simple case of swapping in and out different devices then we must have different devices wearing different hats. A power JFET below and something different for the current load ?

Or an attempt to go a step further than your 'sweet spot' article, combining two devices with different characteristics to achieve a 'super sweet spot' perhaps ?

It's not generally a case of simply dropping new devices into
a given circuit, although that is often an indicator.

The "sweet spot" is always looked for, but I have never seen
a "super sweet spot". While conceptually possible, it is
unlikely, as once you get second harmonic cancellation all
the low hanging fruit are gone.

:cool:

well the zen 'papers' are still fresh for me, having only discovered them a month ago so it will be very nice to see the next chapter :)

If the concept of simplicity remains there can't be too many options to use up different devices here - input buffer, single stage amplifier, active load, and power supply (cap multiplier)

talking of 2nd harmonic removal... a zen-like symmetrical push-pull ? no it has to be SE !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.