Planning to build an Aleph 5 dual mono amps - advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th October 2009, 09:17 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Planning to build an Aleph 5 dual mono amps - advice

I loooks like its time for me to consider a full Pass Labs Aleph 5. I have been collecting as much info as possible but i still have several questions. Hopefully someone here can take pity on a newbe looking to learn.

1. DIY PCB vs group buy vs ebay (sketchy?). Are there any group buy boards left that someone would be will ing part with?

2. REcommendation of component selection and quality. Plesae advise.

3. Chassis ideas. I've been looking at other mono block design for inspiration, lots of idea but nothing concrete. What works, what doesn't?

Woudl appreciate any advice or relevant links!
hopfully thid start a discussionl

Cameon
Old 20th October 2009, 12:04 PM   #2
RIP

Hi Cameon,
I built an Aleph 5 a few yrs ago, it's a fine amp.

To try and answer your questions, boards are available from DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.
Don't underestimate the heatsink requirements of 150w per ch. Russ Boss has the heatsink profile you need, but check out the Conrad heatsink website to get a feel for sizing them.
The WIKI has plenty of info and links to people's Aleph builds, they are all based on the same topology.
The PassDiy website is the place to go to learn, study the Zen articles. They will take you through the entire Aleph circuit progression.
Boutique parts are not required, just good quality metal film resistors and good caps (Pana FCs). Use what ever you like. Most of the sonics are in the topology.
This stuff has all been covered on this forum many times over, an extended discussion is probably not going to happen, but there is plenty of help available, and you can PM me if you need manuals or such.
Best regards, Bill

Hide this!Advertise here!