B1 Power Supply Options

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've built a B1, with which I am very happy, and it is currently running off two 9V batteries. But now I'm considering experimenting with some other power supplies, in particular, a regulated supply. I just happen to have an unused Hammond 182K30 sitting around, which gives 30V off both windings. Would it be possible to put this into some circuit to get what the B1 needs (18V) out of it? If so, could anyone point me at where I might find such info? If that's too big a transformer, can someone point me at a good design for a simple PS for the B1? I saw one thread on this, but it looked as if the person was having rather a lot of problems.

I bugh the nice and small Velleman K1823 for my B1. It has a LM317, rectifier diodes, and a cap. And a pot to adjust the output voltage.
I replaced the standard 1N4004 (or whatever it was) with some better ones. It only has 1000 uF, but the B1 itself has some capacity, and you can always add some external bulk as well.
At least it is a USD10 or so starting point.

Rolv-karsten

Attachments

• k1823.jpg
    k1823.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,596
I bugh the nice and small Velleman K1823 for my B1. It has a LM317, rectifier diodes, and a cap. And a pot to adjust the output voltage.
I replaced the standard 1N4004 (or whatever it was) with some better ones. It only has 1000 uF, but the B1 itself has some capacity, and you can always add some external bulk as well.
At least it is a USD10 or so starting point.

Rolv-karsten

I bought one today too. What did you replace the standard diodes with? I plan to ditch the supplied Jamicon caps and replace them with Panasonics. Mine came with a 2200µF 'lytic, not 1000µF.

I am looking to power up my B1 now as it's all soldered up.

The board not a Pass Labs, but a clone. It has a shared section consisting of 2x 15,000uF caps, a diode, led and resistors before the gain stages, as in the Pass schematic. Isn't this stuff the tail end of a power supply?

Could I simply use a small toroidal transformer and a MUR860 diode rectifier I have spare to supply 18v DC to the unit? Would that be sensible?

No, I don't think that would a good idea. Feed it from a dedicated PSU which can be either:

-2x 9 volt batteries in series
-a switch mode PSU (think laptop PSU)
-a cheap wall wart
-a diy PSU (rectifiers, capacitance, regulation)

Can you explain why what I suggested is not a DIY PSU and why it isn't a good idea? This is how my gainclone is powered, with much smaller caps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.