Threshold FET-10/hl power connector

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I recently picked up a Threshold FET-10/hl preamp and I'm in the process of restoring it. It doesn't need much work other than replacing the old electrolytics and bypassing the output coupling caps.

I'm considering building a heftier power supply for it and I'm trying to determine what type of plug is used on the cable that plugs into the preamp. It's terminated in a small size 3 pin female connector. The diameter of the connector is ~ 0.32 inches or close to 5/16" or 8mm. The pin to pin spacing measures ~ 0.13 inches or close to 1/8" or 3.3mm. Of course all of these measurements are subject to error since I just pulled out a ruler and measured these . I've attached a picture, which may be more useful.

Anyone recognize the connector type and know where I can get another one?
Thanks,
---Gary

Attachments

• fet10_plug.jpg
    fet10_plug.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 403
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks like a Tini Q-G, mini xlr. Switchcraft, among others, makes them.

Thanks Bill - I appreciate the help.
After posting the picture, it occurred to it looked like a miniature XLR, so I searched on that and found the same thing. It's amazing what you can find with Google once you stumble across the right search term. The parts are available at Mouser if anyone else needs some.

The 10/hl has on board discrete voltage regulators but the external power supply is surprisingly wimpy. It's got a tiny transformer only rated at 6VA and 2100uf on the + and - minus rails. Some might say that with the regulators you don't need a stiff external supply but I'm not convinced. It's nice that the external supply is small and light but here at diyaudio we're not constrained by such niceties. I've got a nice avel lindberg 100va dual 22v transformer that would be perfect if I add some pre-regulation. The external supply puts out +- 24v, so I'm thinking that I'll add some LM338 regulators so that the supply is really, really solid.

---Gary

Sorry for bring this old post up again.

I'm pretty new to the hifi hobby and recently found a set of FET 10/HL + SA1 monoblocks form my dad's warehouse. :D

However, the cable between the power supply the FET 10 is missing, and can you guys confirm the standard mini XLR works? I would also like to DIY one with a much longer length... do you know where can i find the parts?

thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 308
Joined 2002
Paid Member
However, the cable between the power supply the FET 10 is missing, and can you guys confirm the standard mini XLR works? I would also like to DIY one with a much longer length... do you know where can i find the parts?

On my FET 10/hl, the cable was hard wired to the power supply and had a 3 pin female connector to plug into the preamp. When I built a new power supply, I used a Switchcraft TA3FLX connector and it worked perfectly. I picked it up at Mouser.
The equivalent male connector, which you probably need to hook up on the power supply side, is the Switchcraft TA3MLX.

---Gary

Hello, I know this is a very old post.
Recently I acquired a threshold FET TEN/PC phono stage, but the smal xlr power connector (TA3F type) was destroyed, so I got a new one from mouser electronics but I want to know if you can help me to show me in which pins I must solder the right wires.

Have my best regards

Ricardo

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello, I know this is a very old post.
Recently I acquired a threshold FET TEN/PC phono stage, but the smal xlr power connector (TA3F type) was destroyed, so I got a new one from mouser electronics but I want to know if you can help me to show me in which pins I must solder the right wires.

Have my best regards

Ricardo

Pin 2 = ground
Pin 1 = +V
Pin 3 = -V

But I encourage you to double check the wiring in your FET 10/pc to be sure it's consistent with what I measure.

---Gary

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.