FirstWatt J2

Still working on J2, feeling more dumb every day, I decided to start writing my experiences down....
More to come....some chapters are still waiting for less dumb persons than me to be filled...

book.jpg

grünschnabel !

:clown:

Exactly ! Still wet behind the ears :deerman:

As you are on your 224th Edition, I'd be happy to cite you in the Chapter: Dirty tricks - How to get 2nd harmonic to 0.023% and 3rd harmonic to 0,004% by using artistically, carefully unmatched semisouth or ZenMods famous ZenPot ;)

With CCS at 20mA and some semisouth source-resistor tweaking the 2nd and 3rd harmonics looked fine, when getting back to 10mA CCS the values are far too low and the amp sounds too thin and uninvolving.

I need some help... easy instructions....for dummies like me.....

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
the problem is not as easy...

my friend dsdjoy succeeded in cloning the THD spectra 98%, even Nelson got a nice picture of the similar spectra of clone and original and accepted that dsdjoy had done a good job.

But the original still sounds better...... !

and the master is laughing......or..... or....:p

Joined 2000
Paid Member
But the original still sounds better...... !

Could it be some other part you are overlooking that is effecting the sound of your J2?
Maybe it was some other choice in part(s) and not your circuit design that's having, to your ears, a negative effect or less than perfect result.

What about polarity at the speakers? What about break-in time? What about grounding scheme? Power supply? etc, etc.

Maybe you are dead on target, but just overlooking one small piece. Just a thought.
Hope you find the missing piece. Really do! :)

Vince

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Could it be some other part you are overlooking that is effecting the sound of your J2?
Maybe it was some other choice in part(s) and not your circuit design that's having, to your ears, a negative effect or less than perfect result.

What about polarity at the speakers? What about break-in time? What about grounding scheme? Power supply? etc, etc.

Maybe you are dead on target, but just overlooking one small piece. Just a thought.
Hope you find the missing piece. Really do! :)

Vince

Thank you Vince!

Copycats are looking in the direction you suggested....:D

if you boys got it 98% of THD spectra , rest is in your head

I had short circ between two headphones too many times , so I know how's that

:devily:

Sonically after having 98% the same Spectra my J2 inspired amp sounded almost identical to the original. Without a direct A/B comparison they would be almost indistinguishable.

But what am still after is - it is only a nuance - following:

The original J2 has a bit more silkyness, while my J2-inspired version is a tiny bit more on the hard, edgy side.
As said this is a nuance, and you can argue, it is a short-circuit between two headphones :D

However, I tend to believe that it is due to my usage of 20mA CCS....

Why, did I use 20mA then ?

Well, first I applied the mod you suggested:"fold input LTP (inner drain) to lower SJEP source".
GOOD - it brought THD from 0.015% to 0.022% - right direction.

2nd harmonic looked almost fine, but 3rd harmonic was still too low.
I found that raising CCS from 10mA to 20mA brings up 3rd harmonic - Good - right direction !

Then I began fine-tuning K2/K3 relationship by using LARGE ZenPot (in wrong place,but working for me):D:
J2_ZenPot.jpg

When I was happy with K2 vs K3 relationship, I replaced the pot with a
dsdjoy Butterfly(TM) resistor.

butterfly.png

A tiny bit adjustment of feedback to raise overall K2 & K3 and
I got to 98% same Spectra.

The overall process took many many days of iterations, measurements and listening sessions (repeat similar procedure for 2nd channel !).

This is where I am. Only things that bores me (translate: does not let me sleep) is that J2 sounds a bit more silky/relaxed vs. my J2-inspired amp sounds a nuance more on hard/dynamic side.

Is it the 20mA CCS that was a wrong choice ?
A bit like in a known board-game I fear I have to start all-over: Go Back to Start, Do Not Pass. :cool:

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dsdjoy

if you wanna exact copy - you need to dismantle bloody thing and measure Idss of all Jfets ........ I mean - all

then try to repeat that

and then ask Pa what he's doing when he's putting some other Idss grades in ?

OK - say that he choose always (approx.) same current through LTP ;

then it's slightly less believable that he's always choosing same Idss range for LTP itself , simply because 2SJ109 BL's aren't growing in a field (never mind that he's probably having Jfet's inventory as big as all other HiEnd makers together ) ...... so that will be just waste of good wine

same as for output Jfets - it's completely sane thinking that Pa is puttin' there spread of +/-10% Idss ....... meaning 20% of majority

tricks are there ; we are having pics of , say , several J2 specimens ; none of them are showing paralleled source resistors as seen on F5
but - even if we didn't saw them , maybe they're here in some

so - there is another trick ( which I can't share publicly ) to alter/influence Iq .... and that change will also influence OLG , so feedback , so THD spectra ..

whatever - I'm writing too much , most probably contemplating even more ....... but I'm almost positive that Pa isn't so obsessive to have all amps of one breed in same 2% of performance

considering most probably scenarios - that 100 J2 specimens will end on at least 89 different speakers ..... spread of performance will be much much higher than these 2%

conclusion - for us - it's worth chasing understanding of performance , not performance itself

if later is the case - drink glass of red , everything will be 20% better :clown:

edit - and yes - I chose 20ma in LTP , along with cascodes

I like them bleed , and shiny , too :devily:

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for good hints !

if you wanna exact copy - you need to dismantle bloody thing and measure Idss of all Jfets ........ I mean - all

Nah...I would need to know J2 repair price at FirstWatt facility.
....or better.....J2 will stay untouched.

simply because 2SJ109 BL's aren't growing in a field

I found they grow better on nutrient agar... :D
(matched them for a good friend)
DSC_5242.JPG

conclusion - for us - it's worth chasing understanding of performance , not performance itself
if later is the case - drink glass of red , everything will be 20% better :clown:

Learning is my main aim here, too. I learned how different THD and different K2 and K3 levels sound. Interesting !

Now junior wizard apprentice likes to learn more (hunting :ghost:)

Last edited: