FirstWatt J2

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the F2 has much higher distortion figures than both F1 and J2. I'm not asking for a very detailed comparison, I guess I would just like to hear that the F2 is not overshadowed by this new star from a sound quality point of view, that they are at least comparable

I just opened an unexpected arrival from Jon this morning. It
appears to be an F2 with expectations of having a JFET
installed. It appears that he saw the distortion curve difference in
the F2 example.

It's worth noting that I am considering some other tweaks
on this as well.

:cool:

Attachments

• JFET VS MOSFET THD.bmp
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,217
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
The secret is that I can drive you into frenzied curiosity over
a simple voltage reference.

:cool:

resume that I'm guilty :rofl:

R-K Rønningstad;1954582 said:
Yeah, don't start a guesswork like the John Curl Blowtorch thread, guys! How many angels can dance on a needle tip?:spin: I would expect Nelson to use a reference he had handy, not searching the world for the Holy Grail of voltage references. Hehe....!

luckily , they aren't of same breed

:devilr:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
R-K Rønningstad;1954603 said:
No, I did not mean to compare any persons, sorry.
:)

-rk

I know ....... but I just couldn't resist :devily:

edit: do not worry - NP knows who's resident black sheep ...... :Popworm:

R-K Rønningstad;1954603 said:
But that discussion/guesswork almost was (is?) whether resistors should be 332 or 330 ohm, almost that level. And that is missing the point, I believe.

-rk

agree ; that's why this time I (almost) passed ;
if nothing else , that saves me throwing/writing tech. nonsense , as usual ...

:rofl:

Last edited:
Santa came early this year and there is a beautiful new J2 playing in my living room :) :) :) :)

I've only an hour on it so far but it sounds great! The presentation is different from my Aleph 30. The J2 is more forward and a wider sound stage. It is QUIET compared to the Aleph 30. More to follow after we get to know each other better. And I'm not going to open it up so please don't ask :)

[URL=http://img35.imageshack.us/i/img2643y.jpg/]
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/URL]

Thanks a lot. What about the rest of the audio performance (mids, highs, dynamics...)? You called the F1 "more accurate", but the F2 has much higher distortion figures than both F1 and J2. I'm not asking for a very detailed comparison, I guess I would just like to hear that the F2 is not overshadowed by this new star from a sound quality point of view, that they are at least comparable:spin:.

It has actually been awhile since I plugged the F2 into the system, so detailed comparisons are not to be made. In general, my recollection is that the F2 is not as clean as the F1, and not as sweet as the J2. It seems to me that a single ended version using the J-Fet of the J2 should have merit, which is why I asked Nelson to upgrade mine. After hearing his simple power J-fet SE amp at Burning Amp, I feel even stronger that this deserves to be explored.

Hopefully, my F2 will receive a transplant, and I will report back later.

It has actually been awhile since I plugged the F2 into the system, so detailed comparisons are not to be made. In general, my recollection is that the F2 is not as clean as the F1, and not as sweet as the J2. It seems to me that a single ended version using the J-Fet of the J2 should have merit, which is why I asked Nelson to upgrade mine. After hearing his simple power J-fet SE amp at Burning Amp, I feel even stronger that this deserves to be explored.

Hopefully, my F2 will receive a transplant, and I will report back later.

Thank you very much Mr. Ver Halen and I'm eagerly waiting for your future impressions on the improved F2. For reasons I will not go into right now, my mind is pretty much set on building an F2 and all this talk about the new potions The Mighty Wizard Mr. Pass is preparing for making this design even better is making me very excited.

I think what he was trying to say was, we don't need to try and copy Nelsons design to the nth degree nor should we worry too much about every detail of the design.
The basic topology that Nelson has provided is more than enough.
I think we should be using that topology to make the design as simple as possible (Zen like) we needn't concern ourself with trying to match Nelson's design at this point in time.
Let us be free to use our own zen creativity on this one.

Well I think that was what he was trying to say.

Last edited:
The biggest potential weakness of the current source amp (F1 or F2) is its bass. With no real damping factor, you had to rely on the speaker and cabinet to provide and damping. The J2, with its lower output impedance, does a much better job of controlling the bass for most speakers. (Yes, the J2 is a voltage source amp, not a current source amp).

Perhaps the ideal speaker for a current source amp is a back loaded horn. It has plenty of internal damping, and the increased impedance at resonance created a situation where the current source could better drive it. Under these conditions, the current source is the better amp for bass.

So, as always in this sport, you have to balance your system.

So Jon are you saying that the F1 and J2 are both equally resolving of inner detail and texture of music but what makes the difference is the damping factor; F1 in BLH = J2 in non-BLH. Or does the F2 have an edge in detail, speed and musicality?

So Jon are you saying that the F1 and J2 are both equally resolving of inner detail and texture of music but what makes the difference is the damping factor; F1 in BLH = J2 in non-BLH. Or does the F2 have an edge in detail, speed and musicality?

I think it is more than just the damping factor, but I have not done a close side by side comparison. The J2 sounds just a touch sweeter, and a little "softer" in comparison to the F1. F1, as I recall, is a tad more dynamic. They sound extremely similar, with just minor shades of coloring. Not sure which one is closer to the mythical "straight wire with gain", and you get to decide which one sounds better to you.

I think it is more than just the damping factor, but I have not done a close side by side comparison. The J2 sounds just a touch sweeter, and a little "softer" in comparison to the F1. F1, as I recall, is a tad more dynamic. They sound extremely similar, with just minor shades of coloring. Not sure which one is closer to the mythical "straight wire with gain", and you get to decide which one sounds better to you.

Thanks Jon. More than enough details.

When diyers made their own F5, many said that it was the best amp they had ever heard. No doubt that the F5 is what people say it is.

But from what you say, it seems that if the F1 is implemented with a good FR driver is a BLH or VTL type of enclosure, one could almost touch what the J2 can deliver with a wider array of speaker configurations.

This is as good as it gets, before Nelson supersedes these comparable performances with newer parts (perhaps, custom made) and intuitive designs.

Nelson, hats off to you. You are a wizard. Thanks a ton.