FirstWatt J2

Congratulations.... I know you worked hard! :D

Thanks Generg ! It was you, who got me started, guided and motivated me during this longish J2 expedition.....thanks !!!
(....and we both know how many times we were close to giving up...)

So, it's all your fault :D
As a compensation, I expect to hear a report of working and nice-sounding Generg-J2 soon. :p

Last edited:
Pictures found

Just found heat sink CAD database layout in my HDD but there're no any link to factory :(
I can't remember it maybe I need to send this picture to everyone whom in my email list (over 1000)

Ha Ha.......................

Attachments

• FW HS 11.jpg
    FW HS 11.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 936
  • FW HS 22.jpg
    FW HS 22.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 946
I compared 6 Semisouth in 30 different combiations. One SS in upper, the other one in lower position. Measuring THD and 2nd, 3rd harmonics.

The result was really surprising: Regardless of matched or unmatched pairs being measured, the transistors showed very different behaviour in terms of 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th harmonics.

It occurs to me, that different Semisouth transistors show different distortion behaviour, and that it is worthwile to select them for the distortion pattern each one of them (or each push-pull pair) generates.

I also would like to emphasize regarding clones (some indicated in this thread):
Semisouth are nowadays almost unobtainable. One element of perfection of FirstWatt amps, is the meticulous selection of transistors from a stock of thousands, so the selected pairs create the desired sound, the designer aims for. In my opinion the selection does not happen only on Idss, Vgs, but also on gate leakage and harmonic distortion spectrum. So, individual diy guys with a large stock of semisouth and a LOT of time might be able to get close. Cloners with the intend to release many amps - forget it - without extreme effort and knowledge it is not possible to reach the same level of perfection.

Last edited:
I compared 6 Semisouth in 30 different combiations. One SS in upper, the other one in lower position. Measuring THD and 2nd, 3rd harmonics.

The result was really surprising: Regardless of matched or unmatched pairs being measured, the transistors showed very different behaviour in terms of 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th harmonics.

It occurs to me, that different Semisouth transistors show different distortion behaviour, and that it is worthwile to select them for the distortion pattern each one of them (or each push-pull pair) generates.

I also would like to emphasize regarding clones (some indicated in this thread):
Semisouth are nowadays almost unobtainable. One element of perfection of FirstWatt amps, is the meticulous selection of transistors from a stock of thousands, so the selected pairs create the desired sound, the designer aims for. In my opinion the selection does not happen only on Idss, Vgs, but also on gate leakage and harmonic distortion spectrum. So, individual diy guys with a large stock of semisouth and a LOT of time might be able to get close. Cloners with the intend to release many amps - forget it - without extreme effort and knowledge it is not possible to reach the same level of perfection.

Hi dsdjoy:

I remember reading a while in the Ba1/3 thread (from Gerd) that did not vary much the sound putting R100 or IRFP240 in the upper position, can you comment something about that?
Thanks ..

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi dsdjoy:

I remember reading a while in the Ba1/3 thread (from Gerd) that did not vary much the sound putting R100 or IRFP240 in the upper position, can you comment something about that?
Thanks ..

Hi gmant123, :)

At that time I could not measure distortion spectra. I liked the sound with the R100 in the non CCSposition very much. The R100 were only matched for Vgs.

The J2 is a real beast and beauty at the same time..... It will have taken some time for Nelson to produce this sound.

But other babies are also very fine, I enjoy just a F3 clone, easier to manage and besides a little week bass, you have a wonderful panoramic sound.

J2 sounds like being on drugs, F3 like being in a wonderful landscape...:):D:D