FirstWatt J2

Joined 2013
Paid Member
I have the PCB's assembled and was going through a final check of my work, and the CNY17-3 wiring in the circuit has me confused. What is the base of the transistor (pin 6) connected to? The schematic makes it look like pin 6 is connected to the body of the CNY17-3, without any connection to the circuit.

Attachments

• J2.jpeg
    J2.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 262
Joined 2013
Paid Member
Thank you Zen Mod! When I looked at the datasheets for Vishay, Lite-on and Fairchild, it confused me even more.
VISHAY: Has the base connected to pin 6, yet the schematics shown for testing shows the optodiode connection.
Lite-on: Has no connection between the base and pin 6
Fairchild: Shows the base connected and NOT connected to pin 6 based on part number.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have the PCB's assembled and was going through a final check of my work, and the CNY17-3 wiring in the circuit has me confused. What is the base of the transistor (pin 6) connected to? The schematic makes it look like pin 6 is connected to the body of the CNY17-3, without any connection to the circuit.
Hi Elwood, double the J-Fets at the inputs to get more open loop gain. Look at this picture at 6moons....
https://6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt10/open2_big.jpg. Two 2SJ109 in parallel.

I’m using DiAna with a focusrite interface to analyse the harmonic spectrum of the amp in vivo. Here’s the result before I inverted the input and speaker output of the amp to reverse the phase of the 2nd harmonic. It seems to do a good enough job to help tweek the amp
What's DiAna. I really want to get a distortion analyzer but am cluless.

(Damn tech, quoting failed :rofl:), but to audiosteve:

I am hopelessly old fashioned, but I really like the HP334A. All you need is that, a scope, and some sort of signal generator (does not have to be noiseless to do simple residual waveform analysis and adjustments). Of course, it does not provide the whole thd spectrum (FFT), and since they are very old you need to take care when obtaining one, but the 334 or the likes will give you a live analog waveform and I kinda like that :)

Attached is an example (yes, posted before). In blue is the residual from the F2J @ 1W into 8R. It has a bit too much zoom compared to the fundamental, but you get the picture: very clean residual, just what we are hoping for from a no feedback single ended amplifier.

Noise along the residual curves I attribute to my own test setup and a signal generator just about to explode (yes, it did explode, or at least a few caps did).
54C7F344-4D75-4B19-9DD5-3A747C00669A.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Reactions: 3 users