X150.5 Queries

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I've been a Pass fan for a long time and recently just bought a X150.5. I have a few questions to ask about this amp which I believe have not been answered before (as compared to X150):

1. The number of Mosfets has been reduced to 12 from 20, what is the consequence of this? (current, sound?)
2. There is a input coupling capacitor now where X150 was DC coupled. Why?
3. The capacitors have been reduced in size.

Will any knowledgeable guys help give some input. It is sounding good, but is keeping me from sleep to think that I paid more for the new version that seems like cost cutting apart from that nice meter!

Thanks Mr Pass for your valuable input. I do own your Aleph & First Watt amps too & love them! I should have posted a pic earlier for clarity, though I'm not sure which version my amp falls under. But here is what it looks like. Any more guys care to comment too?
gi.mpl

Last edited:
That is interesting.I am in Australia and we use 240V power.The price of the Pass Lab X150.5 is $10,000. I believe in the USA its $5500. As we don't have a Pass Lab dealer in Adelaide I rung Sydney and was told the 240V version is totally different to the USA model. He then told me they sound the same????At the price I would expect it would sound twice as good....
How different can the same product be with internal parts? Thanks

Different transformer, slightly different soft start. It really shouldn't be that different.
If it is an amp that is in stock then the distributer may have purchased it when the Aussie dollar was low, then when you factor in the cost of shipping, $10,000 is not over the top.
However based on todays Aussie dollar $10,000 is a lot

Get over the price difference Stump!

I live here in NZ and purchased a X350.5 18 months ago, and an XP10 1 year ago tomorrow :)

The NZ dealer came up with a fair and equitable way to compare it with the US list price. I expected to pay a margin as he had to pay freight ex US (the damn thing turned up on a crate!), customs clearance, GST tax, across NZ freight.

The X350 is a heavy brute - in my impatience to get it in the house, I carried it myself (in the box) from the car to the door. Just about killed me... At one point, I had the scary moment of pondering what would go first - my back or the Pass!

It is a bargain compared to some of the local cr@p we have. Why someone would buy a Plinius (I used to own one) instead is anybodys guess....

Dear Nelson Pass

I'am using 3 way active crossover with Threshold T-50 to drive Ribbon Tweeter and other T-50 (Class A) to drive a Accuton C-79 ceramic midrange. And a class AB amp to drive three cearmic 7 inch C92-12 woofer (3 parallel to get 4 ohm, sensitivity more than90dB).
I'm planning to use either X150.5 or XA30 to drive the woofers

I'm doing a lot of listening test, it is a trade off between "Warmth" and "Dynamic"

But Rushmore using all class A Aleph amp with max. of 40w for the 15 inch woofer

Can you share your experience.

Henry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.