XVR1 Amplifier?? Advice please Nelson - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2009, 02:30 PM   #1
dpaws is offline dpaws  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default XVR1 Amplifier?? Advice please Nelson

Good afternoon all,

I couldn't sleep last night, a "what if" was floating around my head... I have a Weiss Medea DAC which outputs +27dB on the XLR's. Voltage wise I don't know how to convert, I'm guessing ~18v but it's really high, too high for all of my amps and has caused a headache or two working out how to accommodate it without gagging it in but at the cost of dynamics, a compromise I'm not prepared to concede.

As Nelson is already aware, I have also been playing with a Feastrex D9nf wide range driver - reasonably sensitive (around 91dB, 16ohm).

It occurred to me that maybe, just maybe it would be possible to run the driver directly from the XLR outputs....

Well, it works, and not only that it is the most incredible sound I have ever heard away from Stax headphones. The detail, the subtleties, the emotion - absolutely incredible. I spoke to Weiss this morning and he was surprised but reassured me that no damage would be incurred to the DAC output.

I'd now like to take it a step further. I have the Xvr1 set at ~ 200Hz between the Feastrex and an Eton 11" bass driver, usually feeding a pair of conventional power amps.

Firstly - would the XVR1 be happy with an input signal at +27dB?

Secondly, would the output stage of the Xvr1 be happy attached directly to the loudspeaker?

The financial implications of the discovery are significant, I can now potentially liquidate a considerable chunk of monies that's presently tied up in high end Nordost cables and various amps - and at the same time making a considerable step up acoustically.

What are the acoustic implications of taking this route?

All thoughts, warnings, condemnations or otherwise most welcome!

Steve
Old 9th September 2009, 05:19 PM   #2
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaws View Post
Firstly - would the XVR1 be happy with an input signal at +27dB?

Secondly, would the output stage of the Xvr1 be happy attached directly to the loudspeaker?
Probably not - it's close or over the limit

No. You can drive 16 ohms with an XVR1, but the power
will be miniscule.

Old 9th September 2009, 08:14 PM   #3
dpaws is offline dpaws  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Many thanks Nelson I'll preserve the xover, glad I asked first!

With the Weiss I'm sure I'm only an op-amp or two away from something really quite special - I so wish I lived next door...

Hide this!Advertise here!