F3 on ebay at $750GBP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th September 2009, 06:02 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default F3 on ebay at $750GBP

I understood that we were not to profit of his designs. A price of 750 pound sterling must ensure profit. I think prices around $500-600US is reasonable unless you are paying for the labour and materials of a custom chassis, like woodwork. You give someone a hand... they take the arm.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=200379470254
Old 7th September 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Banned

750 pounds sounds rediculously expensive. That is probably more than what Tim sold it for.
If these Tim Rawson amps are so good why is everyone trying to get rid of them.
You don't see too many of the original Firstwatts up for sale.
Old 8th September 2009, 02:40 AM   #3
Face is offline Face  United States
diyAudio Member

That's more than double what Tim probably charged him...what a class act.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:19 PM   #4
The one and only

I have forwarded the link to our legal great white shark.

Old 9th September 2009, 05:56 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi - it's my listing

I bought this used, and 750 is indeed more than I paid. I don't expect it to sell for that (best offers accepted!), and I have made it clear on the forum I bought it from that I would be happy to sell it for what I paid for it. I'm happy to extend that offer to this forum as well, if anyone is interested!

On a more general note, I actually don't see anything wrong, and certainly nothing legally actionable, from selling at a profit. I certainly never entered into a contract when I bought this not to sell at a profit. (I have informally mentioned that if I were to make a profit, I would share it with the guy I bought it from 50:50.)

And on an even more general note, I'm entirely happy if I don't sell this amplifier, as it sounds fantastic, and much better than even the 750 price would suggest. I have priced it more at its value to me than at its cost to me, if that makes sense.
Old 9th September 2009, 06:30 AM   #6
Banned

I don't understand why you are selling it, if you think it sounds so fantastic.
There is a very bad feeling around here towards Tim Rawson. It was probably not a good idea to state it was made by him.
It is people like him that put us at risk of losing the great generosity of Nelson in sharing his designs with us.
If this affects Nelsons business then I would not blame him if he was to withdraw all future support to the diy community.

If you were to make a profit from this amp then you should be splitting the profits with Nelson, not Tim or anyone else.

Last edited by Melon Head; 9th September 2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 9th September 2009, 06:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have other amps that also sound great - a pair of 6B4G PP monoblocks and also some OTL monoblocks. I sold some 300B SET monoblocks last week too - I got a bit over-amped...

The ebay listing is factually correct, and ignoring the Rawson connection would have been misleading, I think. I'm sorry if it causes offence or upset to anyone. Certainly I'd prefer a short note from Nelson as to the right way to do things, rather than one from his lawyer!
Old 9th September 2009, 12:20 PM   #8
MRupp is offline MRupp  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
On a more general note, I actually don't see anything wrong,
Well your ebay listing says "First Watt F3 amplifier ..." but when I go to the Firstwatt WEB pages and look at a F3 it looks "slightly" different. Maybe you are not selling an original F3 but a cloned amp ?

That would then explain what is wrong ...
Old 9th September 2009, 05:25 PM   #9
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads142857 View Post
On a more general note, I actually don't see anything wrong
I don't have issues with you owning or selling an amplifier
based on the F3. The issue is strictly that of trademarks,
which you are using liberally without permission.

Last edited by Nelson Pass; 9th September 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:35 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Wrong?

Wrongful on two levels.

1)If it was morally or legally right, I am sure a lot of dIYers would quit their day jobs and have fun regurgitating other peoples creativity. One should not need a law to know when a debt is owed anyway.

2)If this was encouraged to happen we would never learn anything new, just sustain our present frightening state of ignorance where this even needs to be debated.

I thank Nelson Pass in my heart everyday and often in the forums for his gracefulness. I find hope for our future, when a successful man can be successful and share his success with the masses. I believe that he has enlightened many with his genius, kindness, patience, generosity, and his time. Mr. Pass is proof that commitment to an ideal can be honest and profitable at the same time, and those that share that idea can govern themselves peacefully. In this forum is a microcosm of our planet's population. The main difference is that all things are equal here.

The Dude

Last edited by khundude; 10th September 2009 at 12:38 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!