Resistors at Mouser ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I ve gathered almost all the parts for my BZLS and SOZ, but some resistors are missing. (750 ohm / 3W / 1%)

I can t order it from France since there is a minimum order that s well above the few bucks those resistors are going to cost me.

I was wondering if one of you could buy it and send it to me. I would send the money (paypal or anything else).

Thanks for your help,

Akira

akira said:
Hi all,

I ve gathered almost all the parts for my BZLS and SOZ, but some resistors are missing. (750 ohm / 3W / 1%)

I can t order it from France since there is a minimum order that s well above the few bucks those resistors are going to cost me.

I was wondering if one of you could buy it and send it to me. I would send the money (paypal or anything else).

Thanks for your help,

Akira

I think a lot of people use 1K5 in parallell for 750 Ohms and that value is available most everywhere. That's what I do...

Hi, you can get the 1% 2W 1.5K resistors from maplin electronics in the uk. They cost £0.17 each or if you buy 20 it should only cost about £2.90.

You can find the website here. Tehn if you do a serch for "D1K5" you should get what you need.

Hope this helps some.

P.S. I forgot to mention that these are metal film devices and are quite small for their power rateing

solution!

I would like to make a very nice proposal so that you will avoid spending uneccesary money. In my aleph P preamplifier I used 2W carbon film resistors substituting the dale wirewounds and the sound is remarkably better now. Also the simple carbon combosition resistors (sold everywhere extremely cheap) are very easily matched to 1% or better with any multimeter. Just buy 50 or so and get identicals using a multimeter. If power is not enough (as in my case) just use 2 in parallel 2 //1k5 =750 so the wattage will be 4 watts total.
The sound is alot more open and dynamic than the wirewounds that should be avoided in preamplifiers, the same goes for metal films. This is my opinion and its gathered after much critical listening and A-B comparison, and it is of course highly subjective.
Spend your money saved to a bigger transformer and or better capacitors(elna cerafine, Rubycon BG, BHC)
Regards,

Panos:nod:

Metal Oxide Resistors

The metal oxide and metal film are not even close. But those blue Panasonics seen everywhere are metal oxide. There must not be much sonic penalty.
I like using old 2 watt carbon comps, but they are much different sounding. Plus they are getting hard to locate in exact values.
I would just get the metal oxides, they are cheap and easy to source.

George

Re: Metal Oxide Resistors

Panelhead said:
I like using old 2 watt carbon comps, but they are much different sounding. Plus they are getting hard to locate in exact values.

Mouser stocks Xicon carbon comps in pretty much all the standard values from 2.2 ohms to 8.2 megohm.

Not sure what you mean by "exact values." You're not going to find carbon comps in all the same values as you'll find metal films and such. That's because 1% resistors are made to a tighter tolerance and have a different set of standard values compared to 5% resistors such as carbon comps.

The standard values for 2%-10% resistors are:

1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 3.6, 3.9, 4.3, 4.7, 5.1, 5.6, 6.2, 6.8, 7.5, 8.2, and 9.1.

All other values are just order of magnitude multiples of these 24 base values. I.e., x10, x100, x1,000, etc.

se

Mouser resistors

Hi Steve,
I tried the "carbon film" resistors from Mouser. They are mislabled. The material is cermet, not carbon film. Plus the leads are steel. I would not recommend them for audio applications.
The comment about exact values for carbon comp resistors comes from matching them up.
The tolerance runs about 0 +20 when measured. They almost always read a higher value then listed. Plus scrounging around the surplus shops I cannot always find the needed value in 2 watters. And the cost, they are costing 50 cents each now. Used to be a dime. To my colored ears the warth is worth the trouble.
I did build the simple buffer circuit with the parts you sent. Thanks, I hope to install in tomorrow.
One question on the buffer, it is running behind a 125K pot. The impedance to ground for the buffer is set by a 100K resistor. With the pot in a normal 10 - 40% open position is the 100K resistor required? I would think the pot could be used to set the input impedance. The resistor seems to lower the actual input.
On pots, here I use the carbon comp Xicon pots from Mouser. They are about 2.35 each. I convert a stereo pot to mono. This is how a 125K ohm pot is gotten. And hooking the two tracks together seems to really help the noise and tracking issues with carbon comp audio taper pots.

George

Re: Mouser resistors

Panelhead said:
I tried the "carbon film" resistors from Mouser. They are mislabled. The material is cermet, not carbon film. Plus the leads are steel. I would not recommend them for audio applications.

Huh? I didn't say carbon film. I said carbon comp. Page 320 of their current catalog.

<a href="http://www.mouser.com/catalog/614/320.pdf">Page 320</a>

The comment about exact values for carbon comp resistors comes from matching them up.
The tolerance runs about 0 +20 when measured. They almost always read a higher value then listed. Plus scrounging around the surplus shops I cannot always find the needed value in 2 watters. And the cost, they are costing 50 cents each now. Used to be a dime. To my colored ears the warth is worth the trouble.

Ah, well if you need 2 watters, Mouser's out. They only carry 1/4 and 1/2 watt carbon comps.

I did build the simple buffer circuit with the parts you sent. Thanks, I hope to install in tomorrow.
One question on the buffer, it is running behind a 125K pot. The impedance to ground for the buffer is set by a 100K resistor. With the pot in a normal 10 - 40% open position is the 100K resistor required? I would think the pot could be used to set the input impedance. The resistor seems to lower the actual input.

Go ahead and remove R2 (the 100k), but leave R1 (the 475 ohm).

On pots, here I use the carbon comp Xicon pots from Mouser. They are about 2.35 each. I convert a stereo pot to mono. This is how a 125K ohm pot is gotten. And hooking the two tracks together seems to really help the noise and tracking issues with carbon comp audio taper pots.

Ah. How 'bout using a linear with a law faking resistor? Carbon comp pots are the worst as far as tracking on audio taper pots. Linears are hardly ideal either but they track a lot closer than the audio tapers.

se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.