Resistors at Mouser ... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2003, 08:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Holland, The Hague
Quote:
Originally posted by Electro-Nick
Duck,

ask for the MOX-4 resistors, they cost around 0,70 Euro/piece

Grtz
Nick

66 cents to be exact. Bit those are metaloxide not metalfilm (or is it the same)
http://www.intertechnik.de/cgi-local...ass27.grp&&247
__________________
Is that all there is?
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 03:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston
Default Metal Oxide Resistors

The metal oxide and metal film are not even close. But those blue Panasonics seen everywhere are metal oxide. There must not be much sonic penalty.
I like using old 2 watt carbon comps, but they are much different sounding. Plus they are getting hard to locate in exact values.
I would just get the metal oxides, they are cheap and easy to source.

George
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 03:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Default Re: Metal Oxide Resistors

Quote:
Originally posted by Panelhead
I like using old 2 watt carbon comps, but they are much different sounding. Plus they are getting hard to locate in exact values.
Mouser stocks Xicon carbon comps in pretty much all the standard values from 2.2 ohms to 8.2 megohm.

Not sure what you mean by "exact values." You're not going to find carbon comps in all the same values as you'll find metal films and such. That's because 1% resistors are made to a tighter tolerance and have a different set of standard values compared to 5% resistors such as carbon comps.

The standard values for 2%-10% resistors are:

1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 3.6, 3.9, 4.3, 4.7, 5.1, 5.6, 6.2, 6.8, 7.5, 8.2, and 9.1.

All other values are just order of magnitude multiples of these 24 base values. I.e., x10, x100, x1,000, etc.

se
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 01:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Houston
Default Mouser resistors

Hi Steve,
I tried the "carbon film" resistors from Mouser. They are mislabled. The material is cermet, not carbon film. Plus the leads are steel. I would not recommend them for audio applications.
The comment about exact values for carbon comp resistors comes from matching them up.
The tolerance runs about 0 +20 when measured. They almost always read a higher value then listed. Plus scrounging around the surplus shops I cannot always find the needed value in 2 watters. And the cost, they are costing 50 cents each now. Used to be a dime. To my colored ears the warth is worth the trouble.
I did build the simple buffer circuit with the parts you sent. Thanks, I hope to install in tomorrow.
One question on the buffer, it is running behind a 125K pot. The impedance to ground for the buffer is set by a 100K resistor. With the pot in a normal 10 - 40% open position is the 100K resistor required? I would think the pot could be used to set the input impedance. The resistor seems to lower the actual input.
On pots, here I use the carbon comp Xicon pots from Mouser. They are about 2.35 each. I convert a stereo pot to mono. This is how a 125K ohm pot is gotten. And hooking the two tracks together seems to really help the noise and tracking issues with carbon comp audio taper pots.


George
  Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2003, 03:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Steve Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Default Re: Mouser resistors

Quote:
Originally posted by Panelhead
I tried the "carbon film" resistors from Mouser. They are mislabled. The material is cermet, not carbon film. Plus the leads are steel. I would not recommend them for audio applications.
Huh? I didn't say carbon film. I said carbon comp. Page 320 of their current catalog.

<a href="http://www.mouser.com/catalog/614/320.pdf">Page 320</a>

Quote:
The comment about exact values for carbon comp resistors comes from matching them up.
The tolerance runs about 0 +20 when measured. They almost always read a higher value then listed. Plus scrounging around the surplus shops I cannot always find the needed value in 2 watters. And the cost, they are costing 50 cents each now. Used to be a dime. To my colored ears the warth is worth the trouble.
Ah, well if you need 2 watters, Mouser's out. They only carry 1/4 and 1/2 watt carbon comps.


Quote:
I did build the simple buffer circuit with the parts you sent. Thanks, I hope to install in tomorrow.
One question on the buffer, it is running behind a 125K pot. The impedance to ground for the buffer is set by a 100K resistor. With the pot in a normal 10 - 40% open position is the 100K resistor required? I would think the pot could be used to set the input impedance. The resistor seems to lower the actual input.
Go ahead and remove R2 (the 100k), but leave R1 (the 475 ohm).

Quote:
On pots, here I use the carbon comp Xicon pots from Mouser. They are about 2.35 each. I convert a stereo pot to mono. This is how a 125K ohm pot is gotten. And hooking the two tracks together seems to really help the noise and tracking issues with carbon comp audio taper pots.
Ah. How 'bout using a linear with a law faking resistor? Carbon comp pots are the worst as far as tracking on audio taper pots. Linears are hardly ideal either but they track a lot closer than the audio tapers.

se
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommended Mouser Electronics Brit01 Tubes / Valves 21 6th May 2010 09:06 PM
mouser pricing jarthel Parts 1 4th October 2006 02:58 AM
thanks Mouser-not freakyone Parts 10 8th July 2006 05:46 AM
Caddock resistors available at Mouser GRollins Parts 3 15th October 2002 02:01 AM
Power Resistors at Mouser vdi_nenna Parts 3 22nd July 2001 07:14 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2