Resistors at Mouser ... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2003, 08:19 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Electro-Nick
Duck,

ask for the MOX-4 resistors, they cost around 0,70 Euro/piece

Grtz
Nick

66 cents to be exact. Bit those are metaloxide not metalfilm (or is it the same)
http://www.intertechnik.de/cgi-local...ass27.grp&&247
Old 17th May 2003, 03:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Metal Oxide Resistors

The metal oxide and metal film are not even close. But those blue Panasonics seen everywhere are metal oxide. There must not be much sonic penalty.
I like using old 2 watt carbon comps, but they are much different sounding. Plus they are getting hard to locate in exact values.
I would just get the metal oxides, they are cheap and easy to source.

George
Old 17th May 2003, 03:46 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Metal Oxide Resistors

Quote:
Originally posted by Panelhead
I like using old 2 watt carbon comps, but they are much different sounding. Plus they are getting hard to locate in exact values.
Mouser stocks Xicon carbon comps in pretty much all the standard values from 2.2 ohms to 8.2 megohm.

Not sure what you mean by "exact values." You're not going to find carbon comps in all the same values as you'll find metal films and such. That's because 1% resistors are made to a tighter tolerance and have a different set of standard values compared to 5% resistors such as carbon comps.

The standard values for 2%-10% resistors are:

1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.5, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.7, 3.0, 3.3, 3.6, 3.9, 4.3, 4.7, 5.1, 5.6, 6.2, 6.8, 7.5, 8.2, and 9.1.

All other values are just order of magnitude multiples of these 24 base values. I.e., x10, x100, x1,000, etc.

se
Old 17th May 2003, 01:33 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Mouser resistors

Hi Steve,
I tried the "carbon film" resistors from Mouser. They are mislabled. The material is cermet, not carbon film. Plus the leads are steel. I would not recommend them for audio applications.
The comment about exact values for carbon comp resistors comes from matching them up.
The tolerance runs about 0 +20 when measured. They almost always read a higher value then listed. Plus scrounging around the surplus shops I cannot always find the needed value in 2 watters. And the cost, they are costing 50 cents each now. Used to be a dime. To my colored ears the warth is worth the trouble.
I did build the simple buffer circuit with the parts you sent. Thanks, I hope to install in tomorrow.
One question on the buffer, it is running behind a 125K pot. The impedance to ground for the buffer is set by a 100K resistor. With the pot in a normal 10 - 40% open position is the 100K resistor required? I would think the pot could be used to set the input impedance. The resistor seems to lower the actual input.
On pots, here I use the carbon comp Xicon pots from Mouser. They are about 2.35 each. I convert a stereo pot to mono. This is how a 125K ohm pot is gotten. And hooking the two tracks together seems to really help the noise and tracking issues with carbon comp audio taper pots.

George
Old 17th May 2003, 03:44 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Mouser resistors

Quote:
Originally posted by Panelhead
I tried the "carbon film" resistors from Mouser. They are mislabled. The material is cermet, not carbon film. Plus the leads are steel. I would not recommend them for audio applications.
Huh? I didn't say carbon film. I said carbon comp. Page 320 of their current catalog.

<a href="http://www.mouser.com/catalog/614/320.pdf">Page 320</a>

Quote:
The comment about exact values for carbon comp resistors comes from matching them up.
The tolerance runs about 0 +20 when measured. They almost always read a higher value then listed. Plus scrounging around the surplus shops I cannot always find the needed value in 2 watters. And the cost, they are costing 50 cents each now. Used to be a dime. To my colored ears the warth is worth the trouble.
Ah, well if you need 2 watters, Mouser's out. They only carry 1/4 and 1/2 watt carbon comps.

Quote:
I did build the simple buffer circuit with the parts you sent. Thanks, I hope to install in tomorrow.
One question on the buffer, it is running behind a 125K pot. The impedance to ground for the buffer is set by a 100K resistor. With the pot in a normal 10 - 40% open position is the 100K resistor required? I would think the pot could be used to set the input impedance. The resistor seems to lower the actual input.
Go ahead and remove R2 (the 100k), but leave R1 (the 475 ohm).

Quote:
On pots, here I use the carbon comp Xicon pots from Mouser. They are about 2.35 each. I convert a stereo pot to mono. This is how a 125K ohm pot is gotten. And hooking the two tracks together seems to really help the noise and tracking issues with carbon comp audio taper pots.
Ah. How 'bout using a linear with a law faking resistor? Carbon comp pots are the worst as far as tracking on audio taper pots. Linears are hardly ideal either but they track a lot closer than the audio tapers.

se

Hide this!Advertise here!