Waveform distortion on Aleph 30!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pic5

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 589
No Interest

Obviously there is no interest in measurements concerning the aleph diy clones. Probably these should not be judged at all based on square waves and this may be the truth, but I am concerned a bit about the square wave looks at high frequencies. Maybe Mr Pass alone, can make a simple comment about if these waveforms are the normal behaviour of aleph amps, or its just mine??

Sincerely,

Panos

Re: No Interest

panos29 said:
Obviously there is no interest in measurements concerning the aleph diy clones. Probably these should not be judged at all based on square waves and this may be the truth, but I am concerned a bit about the square wave looks at high frequencies. Maybe Mr Pass alone, can make a simple comment about if these waveforms are the normal behaviour of aleph amps, or its just mine??

Sincerely,

Panos

I haven't my Aleph here (borrowed by a fiend) but if I remember well wavwforms were quite similar.

You can't expect a perfect 10 or 20 kHz square wave because its harmonics go well over the power bandwidth of the amp.

PS what's the impedance of your speakers?

Cheers

Andrea

Dear Andrea,

I thought I cannot expect perfect 10&20khz square waves, but my squarewaves seem to be way too bad at least to my limited experience with audio amplifiers. But every other simple push pull I have measured got better figures! Even a 20 year old pioneer I had in storage!
Anyway, all measurements were done on 8 ohm wire wound power resistors. The sound is very good on my Tannoys HPD385s in 90 lt ported cabinets, but very uncontroled and harsh on my mission 762s. As a pre I use my aleph-P clone and source is a heavily tweaked pioneer PD-S707.

Second listening session

This time I was worried because my friend reported some problems, but it seems that my Aleph can't but work properly in my presence:devilr: ; I was ready to raise the ac current gain to give better bass-punch (where according to him it was a bit shy) but I really felt no need of screwing around...

Maybe a longer break-in made it more "solid"....

I am really satisfied, even if you can't expect great SPL with only 30 W, but in the mid-high region it clearly outperforms all the amps of my friends, even the "glorious" MX-1000 from yamaha.

Cheers

Andrea / hoping that his friend will give him the Aleph back when he'll be asked to do so..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.