447.8 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_5101.jpg
    IMG_5101.jpg
    710.5 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_5102.jpg
    IMG_5102.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 295
BA-2 problems

Backbones: Yes, the OUT from the output boards goes to the + speaker out terminal. The (-) speaker out terminal goes to the signal ground. Thanks!

buzzforb: The plate is just holding the output board against the sink. There are 6 standoffs on the board, the plate holds the board stable, and I verified that no metal from the holddown plate is touching any exposed traces on the board. Each MOSFET is secured to a tapped hole on the sink with compound and pads between the mosfet and sink. Thanks.

ZM: I have rca and xlr inputs. switch is used to ground pin 3 of the xlr to pin 1 when the rca input is used. All connections have been verified as correct. Thanks.

Matt

trouble with BA-2 mono

Backbones: Hi Chris, yes, I did hook one up, did get sound, very quiet, then stopped as I increased the volume, as the 1.5amp fuse I had onboard blew. Same result with both monoblocks and even one monoblock with another gain stage board that I assembled with totally new components, all checked for proper values.

I have looked at these front end boards many times, and checked the components for orientation, value, etc, but plan to do that all over again this weekend.
Matt

Hi Matt,
How are things progressing? Two things that came to mind whilst doing nothing in particular over the weekend were: fake components on the semiconductor side and the other as to whether you have disconnected the front end and fed a signal into the power boards directly to see how they behaved.
Best wishes,
Chris

BA-2 problems

Hi Backbones:

I am in the process of totally rebuilding one of the gain boards with new parts to see if I can get the proper voltage gain at the board output.

I had worried about counterfeits, too, but the 2SK parts all tested within the appropriate ranges using the listed testing procedures within this string and other Pass strings.

Once I get that done (having a hip replacement in about 2 weeks, so it is putting DIY on the back burner again) I will report back.

Thanks,
Matt

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
even if cut in half , their length will be wasted

maybe to cut them in 4 and make something as old Aleph series looking case - heatsinks on all 4 sides

all you need then is to make some nice inlets for corners , to make them pretty ...... same as substantial L shaped heat spreaders for inside corners

however , when I think little more - do not cut them , they're useless , send them to OPLDF

:clown:

even if cut in half , their length will be wasted

maybe to cut them in 4 and make something as old Aleph series looking case - heatsinks on all 4 sides

all you need then is to make some nice inlets for corners , to make them pretty ...... same as substantial L shaped heat spreaders for inside corners

however , when I think little more - do not cut them , they're useless , send them to OPLDF

:clown:

I was actually thinking of that in the beginning but settled for cutting them in half as I a little like the idea of a half meter high monoblock should handle about 500W that way without being too hot if I interpreted the graph correctly.
Of course they would dissipate more cut in 4 but maybe that could be saved for another time or project. I would like the enclosure to turn out high and narrow but that would mean that I have to put the transfomer(s) in front or behind the heatsinks.

Yes, they are quite useless, been that for over half a year now hopefully not for too long still.
I belive the postage would be quite steep sending them to OPLDF :D

Using Nelson's power supply design, C-R-C followed by a polyprop of 10uF to supply the front end only.
I was thinking I could use 4700uF instead of 10,000uF for the C-R-C but could I reduce the value of the final cap from 10uF because the front end is only drawing under 50mA I believe or is the current draw not related to the final cap?
Chris

You could use 4700uF and get away with it, but Nelson uses 2 15,000uF in the B1 and that draws about half the BA2 front end, he doesn't do anything without good a reason; no problem with using 1uF in place of the 10uF.

Why not go the 'whole hog' and use a separate regulated supply at a slightly higher voltage (+-30V), I can heartily recommend ZM's Shunty, this way you can avoid using huge caps.