Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2013, 12:50 PM   #1081
diyAudio Member

Have you got a link to Zen Mod's shunt?
Chris

ps Has anyone taken the power supply for the front end from the bias board. Any reason why I shouldn't?
Old 16th August 2013, 01:02 PM   #1082
diyAudio Member

There are links to Shunty and a number of other projects in Zen Mod's signature line. Shunty is part of the Pumpkin project. Just find a ZM post. He's one of those guys that hangs out in the Pass Pub a lot, should be easy to find him there.

Last edited by BobEllis; 16th August 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 16th August 2013, 01:02 PM   #1083
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsmee View Post
Why not go the 'whole hog' and use a separate regulated supply at a slightly higher voltage (+-30V), ....
This is something I really like about these BA amps, and many people don't seem to exploit this feature. Can't put a shunt regulator on a Aleph J, F5, etc. front end....
Old 16th August 2013, 06:21 PM   #1084
Itsmee is offline Itsmee  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backbones View Post
Have you got a link to Zen Mod's shunt?
Chris
The links from ZM's signature.

Pumpkin preamp - More Boring Making Thread

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2...6%20Shunty.pdf

Quote:
ps Has anyone taken the power supply for the front end from the bias board. Any reason why I shouldn't?
The bias board takes its power from the output boards, you want the bias to modulate with the output PSU.
Old 16th August 2013, 07:41 PM   #1085
diyAudio Member

Thanks for those links. Shunty looks complex. Getting lazy. Just want to listen ASAP. Using Salas reg on one amp. Very good. Second Salas, not enough space in new amp.
With regard to bias board well if I run the front end from the main power supply that is connected to the bias board anyway so it will be drawing current from the same supply. Just happens that the way I have arranged things the bias board is right next to the front end, just a short wire away.
Chris
Old 17th August 2013, 07:19 AM   #1086
diyAudio Member

If everything is running off the same supply, then there's no problem with powering the front end from the bias board.

Last edited by Itsmee; 17th August 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old 17th August 2013, 03:24 PM   #1087
diyAudio Member

Thanks Istmee. Is anyone running the bias board from a separate supply to the main power supply? Perhaps running the front end and the bias board together on a separate regulated supply. Didn't occur to me that one should. Is there any advantage?

On a different issue when passing mains cables through holes in a metal casing. Should all cables come and go through the same hole to prevent turning the chassis into a transformer core?
Chris
Old 17th August 2013, 05:02 PM   #1088
diyAudio Member

When I said everything from one PSU, I meant front end, bias board and output; if your going to use two supplies, the bias board must be powered from the output stage supply.

Quote:
On a different issue when passing mains cables through holes in a metal casing. Should all cables come and go through the same hole to prevent turning the chassis into a transformer core?
Chris
Are you talking about multiple mains cables?

A single cable - the live and neutral leads must pass through the same hole.

If passing a cable in then out (as a loop through) to power other equipment (preamp?) then no, a separate hole is ok (as long as the live and neutral pass through the hole); earth is unimportant in this respect as there is no current flow.
Old 17th August 2013, 06:56 PM   #1089
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Thanks Istmee. Is anyone running the bias board from a separate supply to the main power supply?
ehh, not sure about it, but I don't think you can can seperate bias board from output stage that way
you should place it close to output stage anyway
Old 18th August 2013, 06:38 PM   #1090
diyAudio Member

Many thanks for all that and I have made adjustments accordingly.

I am putting two 200VA transformers into one box each with a 230V primary. I would like both primarys to be joined in parallel and to use the CL60 thermistor to delay the current inrush. Do I just use one in series between the mains input and one of the primary inputs?
Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!