Inspiration for future ZEN Versions - basic description of Italians 400.000 $ Amp

What I mean is: take out R3 100 ohms al together and you have a very high output impedance. Reach total current drive nirvana. 100V into 50 ohm at the bass side for instance. Will it give deep bass control? It will be different :D.

If you like, you can also short the 18 ohm R4 and leave R3 in place - then the output impedance is somewhat tamed or damped, the amp now really driving a load of the [6-50 ohms] speaker//R3.

You can do this "f6" too with the newer JFETs such as the Unisick UJ3N120065K3S or UJ3N065080K3S or even with SITs, but then you gotta change the bias in a negative way and maybe forget about the degeneration for most part. . . . It needs the smart guy :scratch: to find the sweet spot of course.

It is great on a Lowther by the way.

• And you can take out R3 or do the R4 shortcut with a switch of your liking, add a blue signaling LED of course.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
2) POWER driving
The output impedance of the amplifier is equal to that of the loudspeaker. The maximum transfer of power is achieved; such a system is used in tube amplifiers (through the output transformers).

Maybe someone should point out to them that this is wrong, equal Zout and Zload does not give max power transfer.

Which is easy to prove: Say you have an amp with 8R Zout and 8R Zload, measure the outputs power with some input signal. Now don't change anything except cut Zout to zero and presto! your power has quadrupled!

Jan

Maybe someone should point out to them that this is wrong, equal Zout and Zload does not give max power transfer.

Which is easy to prove: Say you have an amp with 8R Zout and 8R Zload, measure the outputs power with some input signal. Now don't change anything except cut Zout to zero

The hypothesis is equal Zout and Zload so:

Zout =0
Zload =0

Which is the output power?

Maximum power transfer theorem:
Maximum power transfer theorem - Wikipedia

Of course the amp will clip at Vb. And 30 amps will not go. The drive is pure on current, in sofar as the mosfet is -theoretically- a pure current-drive source. So 30A with a suitable modern device in 0,5 ohm - why not drive a maggie HF section directly?? But it wil distort, count on that.

I tried the non-FB version somewhere halfway the nineties. It was interesting: very pure output. Almost magic, such a high amplification.
[My problem was a telco-transformer that did not go beyond 15 kHz, so I dropped this nice 'vingeroefening' into the bin. :razz: ]