My opinion on Pass Labs and Mr. Pass (Nelson) himself

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

"Actually, for the record, we do reserve the right to
exercise judgement regarding the voiding of warranties,
and after ten years, I can recall only two customers who
were charged for repairs. In one case, the amp was
broken by the mods, and in another the AC wiring had
been modified in a manner we judged to be unsafe. Allowing
an unsafe product to go back out would have created
a liability issue for us, not to mention a moral dilemma.

Everybody else with expired warranties has discovered
that a smile will generally get them whatever repair
they need. "

I am a student at the moment. Hopefully I will get my degree in architecture in a few months from now...!

At the moment I am broke (as almost every student!) and have no option to really enjoy my record collection but to build my own Pass Labs Aleph amps, Speakers + DAC.

I have to say, that I am really "stunned" by the policy of Pass Labs: how they care about their customers and also how they care for us the DIYers.

After reading many comments posted by Mr. Nelson Pass (like the one above), I know one thing: I am in no position to spend 40.000 Euros in an XA200 at the moment, but should I be lucky enough to be able to spend this money in hifi in the future, I will go for PASS LABS!

I know that there may be better products out there if you look deep enough, but what I have no doubt about is that I will not be able to find a company that cares in Music and Customers in the same way as Pass Labs seems to do at the moment.

Thanks Mr. Pass: not only for designing in the way you do hifi components, but also for having such an unique and rare understanding of what the word "Bussiness" means and implies.

I really hope and look forward to become one of your customers in
the future.(Near future, I hope.)

Kind regards,

Borja L

PD1- Excuse me for my english: it is still in beta!

PD2- Synergy question:
I am also about to build my loudspeakers following a kit
design. I have 2 options in mind, and I will appreciate it if
you could indicate me which loudspeaker you think will
have better sinergy and integration with my Aleph 02
monoblocks:
1- Thiel C-12, Thiel C-79 + Eton 8-800-37 Hex
(Avalon Eidolon clones with different crossover)
Sensitivity 89 db 8ohm
2- E-Speakers.com (Andre Perrault) speaker using:
ESG1 ribbon tweeter + 2xPHL 3430 in D'Appolito.
Sensitivity: 100 db 8 ohm

Thanks for the help!

You don't sound too badly off to me! (I am also a student on my year in industry!).

Anyway, I am just building my speakers at the moment using a Visaton MHT12 ribbon tweet and Peerless HDS 164 mid bass. On a first trial, they sounded beautiful! Ribbons provide excellent imagary and that is what I have built my speakers for (I love that effect). Also, such a high sensetivity would allow for easy driving from a Class A SS or tube amp.

Just out of interest - if you are in the UK you might consider Wilmslow Audio. I think the Visaton Topas kit would be ideal for you. They are great to deal with and will provided oodles of advice!

Good luck,
Gaz

b_online said:

2- E-Speakers.com (Andre Perrault) speaker using:
ESG1 ribbon tweeter + 2xPHL 3430 in D'Appolito.
Sensitivity: 100 db 8 ohm

Thanks for the help!

I was looking at e-speakers a little while ago, and went back just now. I saw the PHL projects page, but that above project was not there. Can you paste the link to that project?

You might want to also look into the Ellis Audio 1801b's. Check out the reviews on audioreview.com... from the people I have talked to, they are great. The owner of Ellis Audio (Dave) is a really nice down-to-earth kind of guy too. I have spoken with him on what amps to match with his speakers over email. Also, the parts for his will cost you 1/3 of the above speakers including crossovers.

1- Thiel C-12....

b_online said:

1- Thiel C-12, Thiel C-79 + Eton 8-800-37 Hex
(Avalon Eidolon clones with different crossover)
Sensitivity 89 db 8ohm

Thanks for the help!

i`d like to build thes ones.
i am interested in the crossover you have. Who has designed this crossover? what makes you believe, that the thiels sound good with that crossover?

Greets,
Ralf

b_online said:
Everybody else with expired warranties has discovered
that a smile will generally get them whatever repair
they need.
I know one thing: I am in no position to spend 40.000 Euros in an XA200 at the moment,
I'm going to keep my eyes open for a knob off the front of an XA200 and then I'll take it in while smiling and tell them the amplifier fell off. :goodbad: ;)

b_online said:
I have to say, that I am really "stunned" by the policy of Pass Labs: how they care about their customers and also how they care for us the DIYers.

After reading many comments posted by Mr. Nelson Pass (like the one above), I know one thing: I am in no position to spend 40.000 Euros in an XA200 at the moment, but should I be lucky enough to be able to spend this money in hifi in the future, I will go for PASS LABS!

I know that there may be better products out there if you look deep enough, but what I have no doubt about is that I will not be able to find a company that cares in Music and Customers in the same way as Pass Labs seems to do at the moment.

Thanks Mr. Pass: not only for designing in the way you do hifi components, but also for having such an unique and rare understanding of what the word "Bussiness" means and implies.

I really hope and look forward to become one of your customers in
the future.(Near future, I hope.)

Indeed !!! :drink: :drink: :drink:
Exactly my thoughts aswell. And my that day " ..., but should I be lucky enough to be able to spend this money in hifi in the future, I will go for PASS LABS!" come soon.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: My opinion on Pass Labs and Mr. Pass (Nelson) himself

Mach_Y said:
The owner of Ellis Audio (Dave) is a really nice down-to-earth kind of guy too.

Dave is one of the good guys... it is good to see him starting to do some commercial stuff... do you have a URL?

Nelson is also one of the good guys. If you treat your customers real well, they will become very loyal. And his benevolent efforts to help the DIY community may not have too much direct financial reward, but with out a doubt creates much good will and indirect financial reward and earns him many, many Karma bonus points.

The hifi industry is really just a small player in the entertainment business. Anything that increases the attention paid it by the consumer is good for all contientious vendors -- and the DIYers tend to be pretty hearty evangilists :)

dave

PS: Nelson is also on the donor list of my TL site, so his benevolence is wide-spread.

Re: Re: Re: My opinion on Pass Labs and Mr. Pass (Nelson) himself

planet10 said:

Dave is one of the good guys... it is good to see him starting to do some commercial stuff... do you have a URL?

Nelson is also one of the good guys. If you treat your customers real well, they will become very loyal. And his benevolent efforts to help the DIY community may not have too much direct financial reward, but with out a doubt creates much good will and indirect financial reward and earns him many, many Karma bonus points.

The hifi industry is really just a small player in the entertainment business. Anything that increases the attention paid it by the consumer is good for all contientious vendors -- and the DIYers tend to be pretty hearty evangilists :)

dave

PS: Nelson is also on the donor list of my TL site, so his benevolence is wide-spread.

www.ellisaudio.com :)

Re: 1- Thiel C-12....

The Avalon Eidolon uses an 11 inch nomex driver, not an 8 inch. Although it is twice the price as the 8 inch, the 11" will give you plenty of bottom end so as to not need an additional sub.

Do you have plans to Eidolon clones? or a weblink?

Other possibility... buy all 3 drivers from www.madisound.com. Have them design the crossover network for you :)

Mach_Y, what have your posts to do with Nelson?

It's nice to be able give (and afford) good service. Some companies could afford good service but.......

I got really P O when I tried to get 50-100 chips from the company :censored: and they told me that they only will deliver 648 pieces and the price was 13 dollar a piece! Later they changed their mind but I'm still remembering this :att'n:

Nelson :up:

Re: Re: 1- Thiel C-12....

Mach_Y said:
The Avalon Eidolon uses an 11 inch nomex driver, not an 8 inch. Although it is twice the price as the 8 inch, the 11" will give you plenty of bottom end so as to not need an additional sub.

Do you have plans to Eidolon clones? or a weblink?

Other possibility... buy all 3 drivers from www.madisound.com. Have them design the crossover network for you :)

You can try to get in touch with this Belgian guy.

http://www.gydotron.com/

He has build Avalon clones and they simply look marvelous. Unfortunately his site is in Dutch, but the pictures are revealing by itself.

Marc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.