bypass output capacitor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Im building an F2 amp. I read a few posts in the F3 build thread about the output cap. Some say to use a good one, and don't bother w/ the bypass cap. I'm willing to try soldering 10-15 Silmic II's together, and the cost would be about the same as getting a decent bypass cap.
Any thoughts?

Sure with 10-15 small Silmic sound will be more dynamic than with 1-2 big ones, but no warranty that you can escape of using bypass polypropylene cap. Since special polypropylenes for audio are very expensive and do not have big values, you might want to test 30uF polypropylene starting cap. After burning in period this can be very satisfactory.

The artifacts of capacitors could be understood that they cause some small parasitic voltage, but almost no current, i.e. can not provide wattage. This makes more safe using them at an output than at input. But for listenable effects even tiny artifacts may play a role, something similar to effects of cables.

Hmm... to be honest, I already ordered the 30 silmics before I posted this :)...
Maybe I'll save them for a possible future f3 build, if it doesn't make as much difference in the f2.
(ignorance isn't bliss.. it costs money!)

Attachments

• CIMG0059.jpg
    CIMG0059.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 468
Last edited:
I'm thinking about capacitors again today...
For this amp (F2), the input cap is still important, right? But not the output as much, as it's current that matters at that point.
And so if the output cap doesn't matter much, why is the bypass needed at all? Because it matters a little, even though not as much as it would in a standard voltage amp?

thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.