F* amp VS Single Ended DHT tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2009, 01:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default F* amp VS Single Ended DHT tube amp

Anyone here compare the F* (F1~F5) to DHT single ended tube amp and what is your take on it. Is it good enough to forget about all the hassle that associate with tubes (can't listen to it and fall to sleep without worry that tube amp would burn down the house, re tubes every so often, heating up the house, etc....). Thank you in advance.
Old 9th August 2009, 06:13 PM   #2
DougL is offline DougL  United States
diyAudio Member

The best advise I have is to read the reviews in 6moons and elsewhere and decide for yourself.

6moons

The F series all sound good, but different than each other.
A 2A3 is not going to sound quite like any of them.

Doug
Old 9th August 2009, 11:14 PM   #3
The one and only

Wheaton, Illinois. I understand that Chef Roland Liccioni is back
at La Francaise?

Old 10th August 2009, 12:01 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

That's about 20 miles away in Wheeling.

My wife is a Burger and fries gal. I would not get her in the door.

La Pol Dor was my personal favorite in Arlington Heights. Sadly gone for years.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:52 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Borrowing an F amp

Ya know I am in Forest Park, Il. If you want to borrow and F series amp and try it for yourself, just give me a ring.

On vacation this week, but call or write next week.
Old 10th August 2009, 05:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ya know I am in Forest Park, Il.
I know.
Quote:
If you want to borrow and F series amp and try it for yourself, just give me a ring.
Thank you. I would love to. I will be in touch.

Doug
Old 10th August 2009, 08:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default F or T?

Being a tube man myself, with the 45 my personal flame, and having reviewed all the F amps and lived with the F4 and F5 since then...

all I can say is that with two Yamamoto SETs (45 and 300B), a Woo Audio SET (300B), Fi SET monos (2A3), Ancient Audio SET monos (6C33C) all staring at me on the side lines, it's the F5 I listen to mostly these days - on the same speakers the tube amps would otherwise drive.

It's not the same sound, exaxtly. But it's very much the same spirit if that makes sense. With the F5 being my favorite so far, it has better resolution which is particularly useful at low levels, it's quieter (linked to resolution of course), has better bass control and separation. What the F amps don't have is that texture/wetness thing nor the propensity for certain SET of the tube sort to artificially highlight or extricate soloists from the background.

But as you hinted at - no tube issues with aging or dying at inopportune moments and after warm-up (somewhere around 30 - 40 minutes to my ears), the F amps will always sound the same until they die - which will be well after I'm gone.

Since none of the Fs are integrated, you can always run a tube preamp for flavor. Simply look at the amp's input impedance to determine whether that would make a good match.
Old 11th August 2009, 05:45 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Being a tube man myself, with the 45 my personal flame, and having reviewed all the F amps and lived with the F4 and F5 since then...
I'm curious have you ever tried any of your SET amps driving the F4? If you have would you comment on that setup please.

Mark
Old 11th August 2009, 07:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I have - the Yamamoto A-08S. The bass improves very noticeably but the buoyant gestalt also firms up to become both a change of sonic traits (arguably for the better) and an alteration of feel (different and diehard tubers might say, to the detriment).
Old 11th August 2009, 07:17 PM   #10
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Default Re: F* amp VS Single Ended DHT tube amp

Quote:
Originally posted by xecluded
Anyone here compare the F* (F1~F5) to DHT single ended tube amp and what is your take on it. Is it good enough to forget about all the hassle that associate with tubes (can't listen to it and fall to sleep without worry that tube amp would burn down the house, re tubes every so often, heating up the house, etc....). Thank you in advance.

Xecluded, are you thinking of building or buying one? If you build, then swapping from one model to the next is a matter of building new output modules, and small power supply changes, if any.

I've listened to all F amps minus the F1, the F3 is still on the bench so hasn't been totally evaluated in my system.

I can say for sure the F5 is a very capable amplifier on any number of fairly sensitive speakers I have heard it. It's control over detail in space is very good (including low end). Does it add molasses to the signal?, nope, but it does provide a slightly warm touch and is what I would say a very high resolution amplifier. If I had to recommend one, that would be it.

Hide this!Advertise here!