What speakers are U using for AX-100/AXJ100

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After finishing my Ax100j im interested what speakers people are using with theres.

Since I had problem with bass on all speakers I tried with my AlephX and now it seems to have improved somewhat with the change over to the J but still lacking,

Have tried changing current gain from 50 percent to 66 percent.

Attachments

• ax100j-01-2.pdf
    96.6 KB · Views: 98
I use mine with Magnepan 3.6R's. The bass performance is better than with the AR D115 Mk II used previously. That being said, it is difficult though not impossible to achieve truly profound bass performance with Magnepan speakers.

I am happy.

Graeme

I going use mine with Xanadu W-35's. I've tested one amp and had no bass problem whatsoever (the other one will become operational shortly).

That's hardly surprising since the 35's are renowed for their very tight, deep and tunefull base. Nevertheless, the robustness opf the Pass electronics took me by surprise. I've listened to several very expensive power amps/speaker combinations and found this to be a hallmark for natural sound, in my opinion. Live music has the same character....and that's the standard by which I judge everything.

Oh yeah, mine run on 65 % AC current gain setting.

Xcel

Attachments

• img_4455.jpg
    img_4455.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 318
I have completed my two AX-100 mono blocks on last weekend.

I drive Altec 604-8Ks in relatively big back-loaded horn cabinets with them; the bass is better than ever before. I run an active configuration, the highs are currently amplified by a 2x45W push-pull tube amplifier. At some point I might replace it with the low power AX.

I will post a more detailed report later. All I can say for now is that I am happy as a clam, presumed a clam can feel happiness. :)

Manfred

gl said:
Beautiful work xcel!

Graeme

Well thanks, Graeme !!

I must say it's nice to receive a compliment from somebody who's work I've studied extensively.

I read your thread carefully before building my own amps, and with great interest I read about your JFET input modification.
That's something I definitely want to do as well but only after I've had a chance to listen to the MOSFET-version for an extended period of time.

The picture doesn't do my work really justice, because of the restriction in size for attachments. I showed them to Nelson a while ago and he kindly offered me a spot in the Gallery at his website. Although honoured, I declined because I knew that the next one was going to look even better, and that's the one that I want to offer for admission into the Gallery. The insides of this beautifull beast are shown in the picture.

OK, enough highjacking of this thread, let the AX-100 owners come out of the woodwork and show off their amps and speakers !!!

Xcel

:D

Attachments

• img_4409.jpg
    img_4409.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 260
Ok, this is how it looks for now.
I used 5HU cases from Hifi-2000 in Italy as they were cheaper with the heat sinks than what I would have paid for comparable sinks alone. I am still thinking about how to make the face plates look a little more pleasant. I will probably come up with something wooden and a little meter that allows for monitoring the DC offset - I have been obsessed with that lately...
Rail voltage is about 23V, bias is 6A - the heat sinks are too small to dissipate more heat. I guess I will be starting a new thread on the weekend to share more details and to ask a few questions.

Manfred

Attachments

• dsc_2076.jpg
    dsc_2076.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 169
:cop: Hi Manfred,

The forum only allows files up to 102KB to be hosted on the site. If you can re-size your pics to this filesize you are OK. I think the trick is to drop the resolution down so that the picture is still large on the screen. I think 75 pixels per inch is good for web screen

Otherwise, you need to host them on another site and post a link.:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.