Tori Amos and me...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Did some calculations and here are the results.
The whole calculation is for one monoblock.
As I recall, the supply voltage is +/-24V, which is 48V over the rails.
There are 16 output devices, 8 on each side. Two times 4 for the current sources and two times 4 for the outputs.
I refer to Grey’s original schematic:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=32776 (Thanks Grey, Nelson)
Source resistors are 0.47ohm. Voltage over the source resistors is 0.35V. So I have 0.745mA times 8 = 5.96A lets say 6A bias.
R19 and R29 are 47k. Feedback resistors are 120k. Input resistors R18 & R28 are 10k.
DC stability resistors from common diff-pair source to outputs are 2.35k (two paralleled 4.7k).
Both absolute and differential DC are extremely low. Diff-DC can be reduced to almost 0 with V2 and absolute DC is 15-17 mV
R1/R4 and R44/R45 are not used.
No C2 and C4.
R12, R34 are 2.2k.
Sinewave 400Hz unbalanced.
Output power is now 18W RMS into 8ohm. With the 4ohm load 14W RMS.
I added another 2.2k parallel to R12, R34 and the results are a bit better:
24V * 2.2A = 52.8W RMS into 8 ohm
10V * 1.7A = 17W RMS into 4 ohm.
These values are measured just before the XY-axis starts showing distortion. That is become a bow or elipse. I can increase volume further before things get out of hand, but to me it seems the XY-axis should be flat all the way before clipping.
I got rid of the severe clipping at 8ohm and the 4ohm tests are better too.
Still not what it should be when burning that much power.

Sorry if I offended someone (sy, moe29…) yesterday. It was late and I was tired. I just wanted to keep the thread on-topic, that’s all. ;)

Here’s a nice peace about Tori for moe29: http://members.aol.com/AKlink8489/musician.htm :cool:

/Hugo

Netlist said:
Did some calculations and here are the results.
The whole calculation is for one monoblock.
As I recall, the supply voltage is +/-24V, which is 48V over the rails.
There are 16 output devices, 8 on each side. Two times 4 for the current sources and two times 4 for the outputs.
I refer to Grey’s original schematic:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=32776 (Thanks Grey, Nelson)
Source resistors are 0.47ohm. Voltage over the source resistors is 0.35V. So I have 0.745mA times 8 = 5.96A lets say 6A bias.
R19 and R29 are 47k. Feedback resistors are 120k. Input resistors R18 & R28 are 10k.
DC stability resistors from common diff-pair source to outputs are 2.35k (two paralleled 4.7k).
Both absolute and differential DC are extremely low. Diff-DC can be reduced to almost 0 with V2 and absolute DC is 15-17 mV
R1/R4 and R44/R45 are not used.
No C2 and C4.
R12, R34 are 2.2k.
Sinewave 400Hz unbalanced.
Output power is now 18W RMS into 8ohm. With the 4ohm load 14W RMS.
I added another 2.2k parallel to R12, R34 and the results are a bit better:
24V * 2.2A = 52.8W RMS into 8 ohm
10V * 1.7A = 17W RMS into 4 ohm.
These values are measured just before the XY-axis starts showing distortion. That is become a bow or elipse. I can increase volume further before things get out of hand, but to me it seems the XY-axis should be flat all the way before clipping.
I got rid of the severe clipping at 8ohm and the 4ohm tests are better too.
Still not what it should be when burning that much power.

Sorry if I offended someone (sy, moe29…) yesterday. It was late and I was tired. I just wanted to keep the thread on-topic, that’s all. ;)

Here’s a nice peace about Tori for moe29: http://members.aol.com/AKlink8489/musician.htm :cool:

/Hugo

How are you doing the measurements? Have you ever listened w/o the scope attached? Are you using a differential probe at the output or just looking at 1 side to gnd?
In all my experimentations I noticed that really bad things happen depending on how instruments are connected.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
grataku said:

In all my experimentations I noticed that really bad things happen depending on how instruments are connected.

I know what you are talking about.
The scope ground is attached to the star ground of the amp.
Channel A goes to +out, channel B to -out.
Bad things happen when there is offset at the outputs and the ground of the probe is connected to - or + out.
There is no difference in sound or power with or without connected instruments.
BTW, the sound is absolutely beautiful when the amp plays in the “safe” area.

I would like to hear from other people what the scope patterns are in XY-mode.
Did anyone ever perform these tests?
/Hugo

Well, well...Do we really listen to what we hear? Till, please just look up in the booklet what is that "strange noise" in Boys for Pelé... What makes me curius that you haven't noticed the other, much more relevant effect of the used equipment, namely that it modulates the sound of the Bösendorfer by mechanical means. All over the song...

Or just hit the links above:

http://theatreorgans.com/hammond/faq/mystery/mystery.html
http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_tori_amos/

Hmmm....

Netlist said:

Bad things happen when there is offset at the outputs and the ground of the probe is connected to - or + out.
There is no difference in sound or power with or without connected instruments.
BTW, the sound is absolutely beautiful when the amp plays in the “safe” area.

I would like to hear from other people what the scope patterns are in XY-mode.
Did anyone ever perform these tests?
/Hugo

I never used XY-mode. Nelson and maybe Grey or Fred (he never clearly stated whether he got the TexX done). To tell you the thruth, I found your initial post confusing, I never quite understood what the problem was, exactly. Granted I was having breakfast and skimming through the posts...but what is the 'safe' area?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
grataku said:

I never used XY-mode.

XY-mode is used to look at the phase of a signal.
I can't explain you the exact process of how this works, but if you have a scope that can do XY-mode you should try it.
Connect the left output to the A-channel, and the right output to the B-channel. Apply a sinewave to the amp and calibrate the scope for proper display of the XY-axis. When all is well in phase, and both channels of the amp are driven equally with the same signal you should see a nice straight line from the top left to the bottom right of the scope. When this line becomes a bow or an elipse something is wrong. Don't ask me further technical details, other people here are much more qualified to explain what I mean.
Now, play a nice piece of music, in stereo and look what happens. Very nice indeed! :)
With safe area I mean the max volume where the line is still a nice straight line.

To Banfi T. : impressive. The Nexo stuff is indeed superb. I bet they have tons of roadies..and money :clown:

/Hugo

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Netlist said:

Connect the left (or right) +output of your amp to the A-channel of the scope, which is then your Y-axis, and the right (or left) +output to the B-channel of the scope, which is then your X-axis. Ground of the scope probes is -outputs of the amp.
Read this again: not to make mistakes.
Don't ask me if you can do this with two monoblocks or with the Alephs.

/Hugo - Hard to write manuals. :clown:

quoteA:
Originally posted by Netlist

Connect the left (or right) +output of your amp to the A-channel of the scope, which is then your Y-axis, and the right (or left) +output to the B-channel of the scope, which is then your X-axis. Ground of the scope probes is -outputs of the amp.
Read this again: not to make mistakes.
Don't ask me if you can do this with two monoblocks or with the Alephs.

/Hugo - Hard to write manuals.

quoteB:

Ok, thanks for straightening that out. I got confused by your posts (see quoteA and quoteB). However, I don't agree that in this cased is legit to connect the scope ground to the -output.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
grataku said:
However, I don't agree that in this cased is legit to connect the scope ground to the -output.
In the A-quote, a normal commercial stereo amp is in mind.
In most of these the -output is connected to ground.
The XY-connection to the scope can certanly be done as described.

In quote B I'm talking about the AlephX. First, we have two monoblocks. Not sure if we can connect both of them star points together through the scope ground. Second, in the X-circuits, we have two identical 'channels' connected together like a bridged amp, but with X added. (That's the simple way I see the X-circuit). This means we have four outputs and only two scope probes. That's why I said not to ask me how to do it with two monoblocks or with the Alephs.
/Hugo

Netlist said:

In the A-quote, a normal commercial stereo amp is in mind.
In most of these the -output is connected to ground.
The XY-connection to the scope can certanly be done as described.

In quote B I'm talking about the AlephX. First, we have two monoblocks. Not sure if we can connect both of them star points together through the scope ground. Second, in the X-circuits, we have two identical 'channels' connected together like a bridged amp, but with X added. (That's the simple way I see the X-circuit). This means we have four outputs and only two scope probes. That's why I said not to ask me how to do it with two monoblocks or with the Alephs.
/Hugo

I give up, I have no idea of what you're talking about. Maybe you ought to revise your simple way of thinking about the X.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
tiroth said:
Netlist, there are not "4 outputs" there are either two outputs referenced to ground, or a single output not referenced to ground, depending on how you want to look at it.
Thanks tiroth,
could you also explain how to measure the two outputs of two AlephX monoblocks with one scope? Connecting the probes to +out and grounds to scope ground? Or connect the probes to +out and probe grounds to -out?
Is my A-quote correct?
I believe there's a big difference in measuring a normal amp, a bridged amp and an X-amp.
/Hugo

Netlist said:

could you also explain how to measure the two outputs of two AlephX monoblocks with one scope? Connecting the probes to +out and grounds to scope ground? Or connect the probes to +out and probe grounds to -out?
Is my A-quote correct?
I believe there's a big difference in measuring a normal amp, a bridged amp and an X-amp.
/Hugo

Hi,
why you need measuring two monoblocks with scope in same time? :scratch: If you want measuring phase shift between blocks, just measure phase between two + or - outputs.

You can't connecting ground of probe to any output of bridged (x amp). For measuring one bridged output you need two channel scope, with inputs summed, one input reversed.
If you have diff. probe you can measure two blocks with two channel scope.(grataku answered)

Regards

Joined 2003
Paid Member
grataku said:
PS I am a little thick-headed, sorry ;)
Don't worry, I definitely have the same problem sometimes.. :cheerful:

moamps said:

Hi,
why you need measuring two monoblocks with scope in same time? :scratch: If you want measuring phase shift between blocks, just measure phase between two + or - outputs.

You can't connecting ground of probe to any output of bridged (x amp). For measuring one bridged output you need two channel scope, with inputs summed, one input reversed.
If you have diff. probe you can measure two blocks with two channel scope.(grataku answered)

Regards
Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I simply couldn't find it in grataku's answer. I'll give it a try (when I have my two monoblocks)

/Hugo :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.