Long speaker cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th July 2009, 08:43 PM   #1
ctong is offline ctong  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Long speaker cables

Are long speaker cables (25ft) a bad idea? Is the inductance large enough to cause treble roll-off or stability problems?
Old 17th July 2009, 10:09 PM   #2
The one and only

That depends on a lot of things, but it is not necessarily a problem.

Old 17th July 2009, 10:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

For some crossover networks is a high value for the length critical concerning the whole transfer function.
Basically effect is the simultaneously longitudinal wire resistance in the high-pass and low-pass.
The outsourcing of the crossover from the speaker enclosure (speaker cabinet) and placing close to the amplifier is therefore my recommendation.
Now you need an additional speaker wire, but the longitudinal resistance and all parasitic values for inductance and capacitance now behind the crossover network. Risk of sonic quality change is considerably lower.
in addition there is the possibility for use of different wire tests in the high-pass and low pass independent.

Many success and best regards
Andreas
Old 18th July 2009, 01:58 AM   #4
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

25ft equals 8meter, right?

Should not be a major problem with normal cheap cables, like used in carfi
In my youth most people used long speaker cables, and sometimes much longer than needed, and very thin ones too, but noone cared much about cables at all
Though, I did try solid core copper from mains cabling
They probably sounded good, but I thought it looked too strange, and I left them again
I may have missed a good thing though

Ofcourse, very critical enthusiasts may want mono amps and short cables, but a different story

I would never have crossover moved away from speakers, on the contrary
Optimally some paralel parts of a crossover like zobels and tweeter attenuation should really be placed directly on driver terminals
Old 18th July 2009, 02:39 AM   #5
ace7one is offline ace7one  Norway
diyAudio Member

I've always been a sceptic when it comes to quallity of speaker cables when it comes to audio.

I thought that the little extra inductance and capacity would not matter at the rather "low" frequency.

Then I changed my cheap speaker cables and was amazed, it totally redefined the whole "audio image".
Old 18th July 2009, 02:23 PM   #6
ctong is offline ctong  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
That depends on a lot of things, but it is not necessarily a problem.

I am driving a pair of B&W803N with my modified Adcom5400. Are long cables a problem in this case?

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
25ft equals 8meter, right?

Should not be a major problem with normal cheap cables, like used in carfi
In my youth most people used long speaker cables, and sometimes much longer than needed, and very thin ones too, but noone cared much about cables at all
Though, I did try solid core copper from mains cabling
They probably sounded good, but I thought it looked too strange, and I left them again
I may have missed a good thing though

Ofcourse, very critical enthusiasts may want mono amps and short cables, but a different story

I would never have crossover moved away from speakers, on the contrary
Optimally some paralel parts of a crossover like zobels and tweeter attenuation should really be placed directly on driver terminals

Quote:
Originally posted by ace7one
I've always been a sceptic when it comes to quallity of speaker cables when it comes to audio.

I thought that the little extra inductance and capacity would not matter at the rather "low" frequency.

Then I changed my cheap speaker cables and was amazed, it totally redefined the whole "audio image".
My cables are Radio Shack 12 gauge. They are not expensive but are better than lamp cords. I have not experimented with cable quality, but in general I am skeptical of expensive cables.
Old 18th July 2009, 08:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace7one

I have never found this, changing cables made no difference at all.

Given the output impedance of an amp is close to zero a length of cable will make neglible difference unless running very high power and then it will be just simple losses to heat in the cable.
Old 19th July 2009, 02:37 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
25 feet isn't a terribly long run,it should be fine..(Unless you're using some kind of funky cable with really high L or C.)

I am highly skeptical of cables,and many other 'tweaks'. But,I had been using cheap bulk 16AWG lamp cord for speaker wire for years,always worked great,and sounded good..One day I found a spool of leftover wire from a friends car install,Rockford Fosgate 15AWG OFC stuff,lots of fine strands. I wasn't expecting anything,but I did notice a (very slight) change in the sound..Without too much jargon,it sounds more 'extended' and 'controlled'.The highs got a tad crisper,and the bass got a tad more solid and deep.. It's a very small change,hardly noticeable..Might simply be because of the slightly larger gauge,or better contact resistance at the terminals,from the many finer strands...I really have no idea.
But,I've been using the RF wire ever since.

Interconnects are another matter,in all of my own experiments,I didn't hear any real difference,except the amount of hum/noise that some designs let through..Some were so bad they were simply unusable. I prefer to stick to shielded coaxial cable.
Old 19th July 2009, 11:01 PM   #9
The one and only

I find it useful now and again to repeat the fact that oxidation,
dirt, oils, and looseness compromise connections in a real, measurable
way. Happens all the time.

When comparing cables, do yourself the favor of first cleaning and
re-seating the original cables and spend some time with that sound
before inserting new ones.

You may be surprised...

Old 19th July 2009, 11:31 PM   #10
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator