I need to battery power F4, F5's... Ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Most ppl thought this was insane?

Attachments

• Salt Shaker II 1.jpg
    Salt Shaker II 1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 124
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Most ppl thought this was insane?

:rofl:

I wrote insane for 700 greenies worth 28W solar panel + invertor .... not for accu idea

@ khundude :

regarding gnd in your two-accu-PSU-for all gadgets :

you have upper accu 24V and lower accu 24V

upper's neg and lower's pos are tied together , forming general gnd for F5 and for all other gadgets ;

so - for DAC - +24V ( upper accu pos) is feed for positive , and general gnd is gnd

same for all other

that way you'll not have any current leakage or short

edit:

output offset of F5 will vary with difference between two accu voltages ..... so - think about current balance and monitoring

Last edited:
Yeah, when I say 'insane' or 'crazy' I generally just mean 'I probably wouldn't do it like that'. When I mean 'insane' or 'crazy' I generally say something highly insulting that's just short (hopefully) of getting me sin-binned for a fortnight. It's just a style thang.

w

Quote>output offset of F5 will vary with difference between two accu voltages ..... so - think about current balance and monitoring

Had a problem with 12 V cels in series to get 12+&- rails after charging the voltagge on one vas higher than the other.

When I power down the cels switch to paralell conection to equalise the charge.

A Buffer op amp with 150mA output did the trick to give me a virtual ground in between Yes sorry about that 5 leghed spider I know...but it is a Phono preamp so no much load.

A snag with lead acid is that it takes 10 hours to charge at the reccomended rate

Lithium do beter but some times they catch fire by themselvs

Super Caps charge up in no time but £150 for the equivalent of 2X 15V 2.3Ah leads.

There is a briliant site:Battery information from Battery University
worth looking up.

We had a cell of a Fork lift truck blowing up this past week and so could not resist to have a look at this tread, as the rest is going to the scrap bin.
I can ask to have them, but you got to be quick to came and collect if you like

Weight is about 1 ton

They keep filling up the lot with tap water...and may just need proper maintenance
I think they came to 800 Ah at 48 volts made up of 2.5V single cells.

wakibaki

I have the same problem and is ......off

I started using the American translation of our standard response:
"Have a nice day"

Not same efect I feell

Not Blip right right?

What I define as being assertive got me nearly there as well so I started to report myself just in case.

Al

Had a problem with 12 V cels in series to get 12+&- rails after charging the voltagge on one vas higher than the other.Al
One of the problems with batteries...
A snag with lead acid is that it takes 10 hours to charge at the reccomended rate.Al
Not true. What is the recomended rate? Ussually I see; the same rate you draw... The battery I sitted can easily be recharged at 3x the rate of draw from our sound system. Heat is ussually the determining factor for recharge and unless your recharging your EV, you shouldn't have to worry. Maybe I should say; unless your insane, you should not be worrying. As I said, heat is the killer for recharging. All batteries are not typical Lead acid technology but mmay appear to be.
Lithium do beter but some times they catch fire by themselvs Al
Again, proper recharge rate is imperative. With Lio it's even more important as you suggest.
Super Caps charge up in no time but £150 for the equivalent of 2X 15V 2.3Ah leads. Al
Well no time compared to a battery, $$$ seems to be their problem still.
There is a briliant site:Battery information from Battery University
worth looking up.Al
Thanks, I will...
Weight is about 1 ton Al
Yep...
"Have a nice day" Al :D

Last edited:
Hi there
Quote > Not true..

Harsh words actualy got that from the Battery uni site reccomended charge rate for Lead Acid is 1/10 of the Cell capacity so you will charge a 1Ah cell at 100ma to thake it back to the full charge 10 hours.

Not the same of the rate you draw EG when you start the car the starter motor may take 60 A only for a few seconds maybe but certanly it will do no good tho charge the cells at this rate.

Or supposing You draw 50 mA you would not want to keep the charge going for 20 hours

Ipoteticaly: You listento your system for 16 hours sleep 8

If the cells need to be back up to charge in the morning you will need to size them so that the power draw is 1/2 of the reccomended charge rate and from here calculate the size.

Not so Ipoteticaly: You may need to get them a bit larger to compensate for losses.

Al

From that link I posted as folows:

Charging lead-acid batteries with a power supply

Lead-acid batteries can be charged manually with a commercial power supply featuring voltage regulation and current limiting. Calculate the charge voltage according to the number of cells and desired voltage limit. Charging a 12-volt battery (6 cells) at a cell voltage limit of 2.40V, for example, would require a voltage setting of 14.40V.

The charge current for small lead-acid batteries should be set between 10% and 30% of the rated capacity (30% of a 2Ah battery would be 600mA). Larger batteries, such as those used in the automotive industry, are generally charged at lower current ratings. Cells constructed of a non-antimonial lead grid material allow higher charge currents but have a lower capacity. The cylindrical Cyclone is sealed and can sustain a pressure of up to 3.5 Bar (50 psi). A pressurized cell assists in the recombination of gases.

So maybe 10 hours was out but not that far

Have a nice day you to:D

Well, I'm sorry if I sounded to agressive or forward or trying to be the ultimate controller of the subject or this thread. I am by no means an expert. But I've been around a while, to long by some standards. I would hope I learned somthing to pass along. Mainly, but, maybe as a supporting bit of info, I can put fourth this from Exide. Above all, don't always believe what you read, including me.. A PDF from the company I currently own a battery pack from. Yes, there are better but, $$$ and your goal, YMMV...

Have a Good day...

No to worry I can take it and actualy same time bit of fun is welcome.

My apologies also as last thing I want is to be patronising but I know that there things that I dont know that you know and thinhs that I know that you dont know..
Or sometink like that...

Al

@ khundude :

regarding gnd in your two-accu-PSU-for all gadgets :

you have upper accu 24V and lower accu 24V

upper's neg and lower's pos are tied together , forming general gnd for F5 and for all other gadgets ;

so - for DAC - +24V ( upper accu pos) is feed for positive , and general gnd is gnd

same for all other

that way you'll not have any current leakage or short

edit:

output offset of F5 will vary with difference between two accu voltages ..... so - think about current balance and monitoring

Hi ZenMod,
Sorry if this is a basic question but here goes:
Is the general gnd left floating? What do you do with the earth ground?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.