F5 Single Primary Transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
NV&H said:
Made an error and ordered (and received) a transformer with only a single primary winding instead of two, as shown in Nelson's article.

Is this transformer unusable? Is my issue an inability to avoid startup surges?

How did you make that error? You really need two secondaries. What is the voltage? What is the VA Rating?

NV&H said:
I've got 2 secondaries at correct voltages. Capacity is fine at 400VA. Just a single 120V primary. That's the problem. Trying to understand how big of a problem.

What happens if I have just a single 120V primary???

Oh, I thought you meant secondaries. I don't know what you could do except to use a stepdown transformer.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
NV&H said:
I've got 2 secondaries at correct voltages. Capacity is fine at 400VA. Just a single 120V primary. That's the problem. Trying to understand how big of a problem.

What happens if I have just a single 120V primary???

Should be perfect

Double primaries is only to have the option of both 120Vac and 240Vac
And you dont need that

You have the best you could possibly get for 120V mains

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
AndrewT said:
Hi T,
that's why it more helpful than saying "countryside".

Or scottish border :rofl::D

Maybe just give proper basic information when asking

Anyway, If he doesnt know his mains voltage theres still a long way to go
Sorry NV, Im not making fun of you
But sometimes its best to know actual voltage on mains and not just what it should have been
Sometimes its a teaser and may make it tricky
You may not know the exact voltage of your supply until you have built and connected it

Sound like your first build, so you may need new trafo
Im not sure whether you can manage anything else

Though, one advantage of a 120v-120v primary, over a 240V, is that you can rewire it, if you move back to USA

It will be used in the US. Again, everything is as specified by Nelson's F5 article except for the single primary winding. For 120V operation, Nelson's design shows twin primaries (in parallel with caps and thermistors bridging across).

Can anyone tell me what kind of problem I'll have with a single primary winding? Yes, it's a first build for me.

NV&H said:
It will be used in the US. Again, everything is as specified by Nelson's F5 article except for the single primary winding. For 120V operation, Nelson's design shows twin primaries (in parallel with caps and thermistors bridging across).

Can anyone tell me what kind of problem I'll have with a single primary winding? Yes, it's a first build for me.

The reason for dual primaries is so you can configure the transformer windings for use almost anywhere in the world. If you have a single primary which is 120V, you can use it in US but not France. If the primary voltage is 220 then you can't use it in USA.

Get the picture?

labjr said:

The reason for dual primaries is so you can configure the transformer windings for use almost anywhere in the world. If you have a single primary which is 120V, you can use it in US but not France. If the primary voltage is 220 then you can't use it in USA.

Get the picture?

That's it?? When I saw the twin primaries Nelson uses for his commercial F5 with the twin thermistors with the cap jumping across, I assumed there was more to it than that. If not, I'm certainly happy with that. I guess it would be beneficial to Nelson if he can use the same transformer model whether its for domestic use or export!!! Silly me.

Thanks for everyones help!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.