BF862 Preamp - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2010, 10:03 AM   #121
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
10VA / 48V = 0.2083 A => 100ma draw easily

BTW, I was talking about 24V AC + 9V AC 10VA transformer (post #28 - final preamp's schematic)
100mA easily is not true for a capacitor input filter loading a transformer.
~100mA is the maximum continuous rating from a 10VA 48Vac transformer.
At this current the transformer will be running hot.
It may be hotter than the maximum temperature rating of the manufacturer.

Where do you suggest he buys a 24Vac + 9Vac ~10VA transformer?
Old 19th January 2010, 11:06 AM   #122
juma is offline juma  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
100mA easily is not true for a capacitor input filter loading a transformer.
~100mA is the maximum continuous rating from a 10VA 48Vac transformer.
At this current the transformer will be running hot.
I run this preamp with two transformers (3.9VA each) and they are absolutely cool. Stop seeding paranoia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Where do you suggest he buys a 24Vac + 9Vac ~10VA transformer?
I suppose the schematic (post #28) is a suggestion enough.
Old 19th January 2010, 02:05 PM   #123
diyAudio Member

To avoid possible misunderstanding, I should be more specific about transformer and PS. The fact is that whenever there is a precise explanation but longer than 5 sentences, there will be someone who didn't read it carefully enough or simple doesn't understand it and we have an instant controversy.

To avoid that, I say:
- readers who understand the schematic and have some knowledge and experience will know what to do;
- the rest of the crew take the 30VA transformer or 50VA or whatever makes you feel good

I made this preamp, it works nicely for me and for guys who built it, I'm sharing the project here - that's all I can do. I can't make anyone learn anything and I can't pet anyone's vanity.
Old 19th January 2010, 03:34 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to chchyong89
Dear juma, don't get tempted everyone is just sharing their thought[s]

i really very appreciate and thanks your hardwork for sharing this and i like it very much... you are one of the man in my admire list
Old 19th January 2010, 03:45 PM   #125
njepitt is offline njepitt  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

juma,

Let me add my thanks for your contributions also. It's much appreciated, even if I am a slow learner...

Cheers

Nigel
Old 19th January 2010, 06:53 PM   #126
npapp is offline npapp  United States
diyAudio Member

Schro20, Bappe & Ucciopino, A couple of months back you expressed interest in joining a GB for Juma's pcb. I have had your names saved on a list. The GB is progressing and I am about to the closed the buy. Please confirm if still intend to participate either via PM or by posting to the GB thread. The GB is here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group...ml#post2053799
Old 19th January 2010, 07:08 PM   #127
diyAudio Member

Hi npapp,
please remove my nick from that GB - I know that you mean it as a recognition, but someone might think that I have some financial interest in that GB which is not the case.
Thank you
Old 19th January 2010, 07:32 PM   #128
npapp is offline npapp  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juma View Post
Hi npapp,
please remove my nick from that GB - I know that you mean it as a recognition, but someone might think that I have some financial interest in that GB which is not the case.
Thank you
Hi Juma, Sorry if my naming made you uneasy. Of course this was only meant for recognition since this was your design. I don't know if there is a way to change the name but maybe one of the moderators can help. I will ask and see how to best resolve this issue. In the meantime, I can clarify that you are not a partner in this group buy. Also, there is no financial gain planned for myself. Any excess funds will go to forum in the form of a donation when the GB is complete.

Nick
Old 19th January 2010, 08:00 PM   #129
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by npapp View Post
Hi Juma, Sorry if my naming made you uneasy. Of course this was only meant for recognition since this was your design. I don't know if there is a way to change the name but maybe one of the moderators can help. I will ask and see how to best resolve this issue. In the meantime, I can clarify that you are not a partner in this group buy. Also, there is no financial gain planned for myself. Any excess funds will go to forum in the form of a donation when the GB is complete.

Nick

Name changed
Mark
Old 27th January 2010, 09:39 PM   #130
njepitt is offline njepitt  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

No-one responded to my post #119 about redoing the output buffer boards, so I decided to go ahead and do it anyhow... Photo attached of the six boards ready to be installed in DIP-16 sockets.

"Six?" you may ask... Don't worry, I haven't suddenly decided to tri-amp the system I only need four for Big Greenie, but making six at the same time is little more work than doing four, and I decided I'd like to have a couple of spares. This way I'm covered if any of them is duff, and if all are OK then either I build another preamp, or some lucky friend gets one...

Each of the boards contains the basic preamp circuit minus decoupling and output caps. (PSU is obviously not on it...)

Next couple of evenings I intend to pull the main board, and replace the larger output buffers, for all the reasons explained in #119. It should also allow for a much cleaner p2p layout on the bottom, which has to be a good thing...

Cheers

Nigel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5316.small.jpg (239.4 KB, 756 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!