more power from aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys
ive got an aleph 5 built from brian gt boards and have just bought a set of m/l quest z esl speakers

i know these things are power hungry and dip under 2 ohm at high freq so im wondering if there is an easy mod for the aleph 5
super symetry maybe ? to get some more power to allow it to drive these m/l beasts with ease

alternately i have 4x f5 boards built from p daniels boards i could use if these are more suitable for the job which i could set up in bridged mode

another thought would be to possibly modify the aleph 5 into a 2 if this is possible and would not require to much changes

any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Joined 2003
Paid Member
You can increase the bias of the Aleph 5, but you may have to consider larger heatsinks, and/or larger power supply if you go that route. You can certainly turn the 5 into 2, you'd need a total of 6 more output Fets per channel, with some changes of resistor values, and another chassis, larger heatsinks, larger power supply....larger..etc. The Aleph 2 is generally built as a mono-block. Post some pics if possible of your current Aleph 5; and we can help you decide. If you have very large heatsinks and a robust power supply, the easiest way would be to increase DC bias. I'm not certain an F5, bridged or standard, would be adequate for MLs, but I could be wrong. It depends on your listening tastes.

-john

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.