diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Pass Labs (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/)
-   -   more power from aleph 5 (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/145740-more-power-aleph-5-a.html)

slr 5000 12th June 2009 01:27 AM

more power from aleph 5

hi guys
ive got an aleph 5 built from brian gt boards and have just bought a set of m/l quest z esl speakers

i know these things are power hungry and dip under 2 ohm at high freq so im wondering if there is an easy mod for the aleph 5
super symetry maybe ? to get some more power to allow it to drive these m/l beasts with ease

alternately i have 4x f5 boards built from p daniels boards i could use if these are more suitable for the job which i could set up in bridged mode

another thought would be to possibly modify the aleph 5 into a 2 if this is possible and would not require to much changes

any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated

MEGA_amp 12th June 2009 02:31 AM

You can increase the bias of the Aleph 5, but you may have to consider larger heatsinks, and/or larger power supply if you go that route. You can certainly turn the 5 into 2, you'd need a total of 6 more output Fets per channel, with some changes of resistor values, and another chassis, larger heatsinks, larger power supply....larger..etc. The Aleph 2 is generally built as a mono-block. Post some pics if possible of your current Aleph 5; and we can help you decide. If you have very large heatsinks and a robust power supply, the easiest way would be to increase DC bias. I'm not certain an F5, bridged or standard, would be adequate for MLs, but I could be wrong. It depends on your listening tastes.

-john

slr 5000 12th June 2009 04:36 AM

hi john
thanks for your responce
they are currently setup as mono blocks with 60,000mf per rail and 2x conrad 350 x 151 x70 heatsinks per mono block
they already run warm with this setup so i could add another 2x the same sinks per mono block and change the amp case design to give me more capacity

regards sheafer

slr 5000 12th June 2009 10:59 PM

hi all
any thoughts on the above setup and what is the easyest way forward for more power

if i increase the bias on the aleph 5 and add more heatsinks will this increase the power available into 4 or 2 ohm

from what i understand the aleph 5 does not double its power into 4 ohm so will this amp even be suitable

Nelson Pass 13th June 2009 12:36 AM

Maybe not. An A75 would be a better amplifier.

slr 5000 13th June 2009 07:22 AM

thankyou mr pass

i had a hunch the aleph 5 was not ideal in this situation and the f5 as good as they are do not have the watts for these speakers

i guess i will have to look at another pass design to build
a75 or something with an x perhaps

cheers

56oval 14th June 2009 01:12 PM

Hi SLR
What are you going to do with the F5's .

Cheers

56oval 14th June 2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Maybe not. An A75 would be a better amplifier.

Mr Pass
How would the F5 go driving a PHL3020 and another dring a
PHL 5020 .

Cheers

Nelson Pass 14th June 2009 03:14 PM

I'm pretty certain that it would kick butt.

:cool:

56oval 15th June 2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Nelson Pass
I'm pretty certain that it would kick butt.

:cool:

Thank you .

You wouldn't have the xover points for the Rushmore :)

Thanks again cheers :smash: