Soundstream Class A 100 II - designed by Pass?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
from: http://cgi.ebay.com/O-S-Soundstream...ryZ18795QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"The Pure A Class 100 IIs are a Nelson Pass design. I have a friend that is good buds with Nelson, and the 100 IIs Pure A Class are his."

Can anyone here confirm?

I am presently using a Soundstream D 200 II (class AB) in my vehicle and believe it to by one of the most musically capable production amplifiers for automotive use that I have ever listened through.

Thanks Mr. Pass,

Which products did you design/prototype? Are their schematics available to DIY? I am guessing the Class A 100 II amp to be from aprox early - mid 1990’s production (built in USA).

If anyone has heard production car audio amplifiers that they believe to be more musically capable (than these older stateside built SoundStream) I’d like to know of those amps.

The Original D series not the Series II I am pretty sure are based on Nelsons Designs.

A long long long time ago I spoke with a guy that told me the whole story. Or at least the story as he knew it. I'm not sure if I can tell it or not? If N.P. ok's it I will type up the story as i heard it.

The Original D-200 had separate power supplies for each channel. the later models only had one supply and the board was revamped. close to the same circuit however. Still the original D series sounds better. These and the Linear Power are still my all time fav car amps.

I have been wanting to play with the Adcoms but they are still very expensive used. Adcom was the first, or one of the first to do balanced outs from the head unit to the amp. a perfectly logical thing to do in a car, and yet it never quite caught on.

Soundstream D100 / D100II

My NAME IS Wade Stewart, I was Soundstreams design engineer from about 1981 to 1997. Nelson Pass designed the original D100, D50, Class A 100 and Class A 50. I copied Nelsons designs in the II series, the peolple at Soundstream did not want me to change anything so all I did was put Nelsons design on one PC board and fix a thermal runaway problem some of the first amps had, after that they let me pretty much do what I wanted, most of which were based in some way on Nelsons original designs
Thanks, Nelson
Wade Stewart

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I had 3 of the Adcoms... though I didn't know Nelson designed them back then.
I found them to be the most musical of the offerings back then and the styling was way ahead of the competition also.
Perhaps it was just too much of a good thing.

Knowing they were your designs, I would have kept them but they went with the vehicles (and the boat) at trade in.

My NAME IS Wade Stewart, I was Soundstreams design engineer from about 1981 to 1997. Nelson Pass designed the original D100, D50, Class A 100 and Class A 50. I copied Nelsons designs in the II series, the peolple at Soundstream did not want me to change anything so all I did was put Nelsons design on one PC board and fix a thermal runaway problem some of the first amps had, after that they let me pretty much do what I wanted, most of which were based in some way on Nelsons original designs
Thanks, Nelson
Wade Stewart

Hi Wade,

What involvement did you have with the CLass A 3.0 & 6.0? The 6.0 is my all time favorite sounding car amplifier. It was so smooth sounding. I’d love to have a home version of what the 6.0 was. Hint, hint…

Rgs, JLH

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.