Aleph 30 vs. Aleph 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th June 2009, 09:12 PM   #1
jencelo is offline jencelo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Aleph 30 vs. Aleph 3

I apologize for this post here though it is somewhat related here.

After selling my Aleph 3 and still regretting my decision, I have been wanting to own an amp that sounds like it. However, I have not found anything like it.

So, I registered here to make one myself with my NO knowledge of making an amp and thinking I could save some money too. I see that this will never happen. Not only I have no idea about it but also it will cost me more than just buying it used.

I wanted to post this here so that maybe Mr. Nelson Pass could give his valuable opinion too. I know it would be subjective even for him but I would love to hear from him (also from others too of course) if Aleph 30 was made to sound better than the Aleph 3 or Aleph 3 is/was still better regardless of changes in the Aleph 30.

I think I will buy a used Aleph 3 and I know how beautiful it sounds and I know there is nothing (for me), sounding like it. I probably have no chance of auditioning the Aleph 30. So, the question is; should I go ahead find an used Aleph 30 or just buy the Aleph 3? As long as the Aleph 30 has the SWEET midrange and AIRY sound (it was like I could SEE the airy sound with this amp), I do not mind buying it. Hey, does it have better bass than Aleph 3 with the everything being the same as Aleph 3, I am ALL OVER IT then

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old 7th June 2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

http://www.firstwatt.com/products/alephj.htm
Old 7th June 2009, 10:28 PM   #3
The one and only

There isn't a whole lot of difference between the two. The 30 has
balanced inputs.

But the 3 has those nice heat sinks.

Old 7th June 2009, 11:54 PM   #4
jencelo is offline jencelo  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the replies. I especially appreciate an answer from you Mr. Pass.

The Aleph J is also very interesting. Especially the line that reads in the manual "I consider the best of Aleph series", now that is something! I immediately turned my radars to find a used one Aleph J as well It looks like it is a lot harder to find it used than other Alephs though.

Thanks for reminding me the heat sinks. I forgot to mention that in my first post. Aleph 3 definitely looks better than the 30 with those heat sinks Actually it maybe one of the nicest looking amps. However, that is not too important. Aleph J does not look the best either but who cares

Thanks again for the replies.

Hide this!Advertise here!