Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd August 2010, 03:20 PM   #801
diyAudio Member

Default Hypothesis:multiple electrlytic capacitors are better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAIFF001 View Post
I have found out that the 100Hz&10,000Hz 85degree Ripple Number should be higher to be better. Therefore ten of the $1.20 Nichicon PW Series 6800uF will have a Ripple number of 10 times 3800mA for a 38A Ripple Number
http://products.nichicon.co.jp/en/pdf/XJA043/e-pw.pdf making a 68,000uF Electrolytic Capacitor. All other $18.00-$68.00 Premium Priced Electrlytic Capacitors have a Ripple Number of 14 (+or-3) of equal 68,000uF sizes. Also by mounting ten (or eighteen for 100,000uF) Nichicon PW Electrolytic Capacitors will lower the ESR by a significant amount.

I believe I will build this Power Supply, but delivery of the Nichicon PW cap will take 145 days.
I thave found a better specification Electrolytic Capacitor the Nichicon HE has a longer life
http://nichicon-us.com/english/products/pdf/e-he.pdf
of 10,000 hours at 105dgree(s) celcius for a cheep capacitor of $1.20 each but the maxumim value for 35volts is 3900uF with a Ripple Number of 4.280 therefore will require 24units per C in CLCRCRC for a total of 384 capacitors for stereo Aleph J-X, which gives a total cumulative Ripple Number of 102.720 AMPrms, and the Impedance is 0.012ohms divided by 24units which equals cumulative Impedance of 0.0005ohms, the best economical State Of The Art solution up untill this point in time! If it works as the theories dictate for the many uncertancies, this Power Supply must be built to see if sounds better than the theories imply.

Last edited by SCAIFF001; 2nd August 2010 at 03:26 PM. Reason: added link to data sheet that was missing
Old 2nd August 2010, 03:55 PM   #802
diyAudio Member

Ripple current is significantly higher in the first C (did you ever figure out the workings of PSU Designer?) Once you have enough ripple current capacity more doesn't necessarily mean better.

As Uriah mentioned earlier, Steve at Apex Jr. has 18,000 uf/50V Panasonic TSUP snap in caps for $2.50. With the five parallel caps you have ripple capability of almost 35A, and an expected ripple current of <16A. That saves soldering 304 caps, and $260. You know which way I would lean if Steve has as many as you need.
Old 2nd August 2010, 04:42 PM   #803
diyAudio Member

Default hypothesis: coil inductor CLCLC is the best Power Supply

I have a good feeling about the coil inductor Power Supply but must now create a Proof of why this is so, with out supporting documentation I can not being of sound mind purchase parts based on a feeling.
The section in this Mundorf document on foil coil inductors explains a few reasons why the State Of The Art Power Supply is created using Foil Coils, they make their coils out of Silver & Gold to, check out the prices, who is buying them? I would if I won the lotery, but I dont play the lotery, what dose this say about me, or you ? Are our values in the right place, because I believe that if we were real Audiophiles or Electroacoustic Finatics we would not consider the price of about $2,500.00 per coil and build them into our amplifiers in a CLCLC Power Supply, with the knowlage we have the best amplifier in the world !
http://www.mundorf.com/downloads/inf...ts_catalog.pdf

Last edited by SCAIFF001; 2nd August 2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link to Mundorf pdf
Old 2nd August 2010, 06:59 PM   #804
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAIFF001 View Post
who is buying them?
Eeh, someone with a $50k loudspeaker system plus an uncontrollable itch to keep fooling around, or with the dying urge to construct LSP's in that range ?

Say what, sota PS ?
Old 2nd August 2010, 07:15 PM   #805
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, I think you have hijacked the thread at this point. Maybe consider creating a thread for your power supply endeavor.
Old 3rd August 2010, 01:47 PM   #806
RIP

It's been very entertaining though!
Old 3rd August 2010, 02:37 PM   #807
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Just up to the point of thinking a CLC power supply should be built with exotic Mundorf coils.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:12 PM   #808
diyAudio Member

Default I am not shure I made the right choice in purchasing Power Supply Components CLCLC ?

I began purchasing Power Supply Components for a CLCLC Power Supply. The capacitors I ordered are thirtysix EPCOS #B41560A5339M000 25Volt 33,000uF from Mouser B41560A5339M000 EPCOS Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Screw Terminal
the data sheet is here http://www.epcos.com/inf/20/30/db/aec_09/B41560__80.pdf
I will be mounting three capacitors in parallel for 99,000uF with a Cumulative Ripple Number of 90 for each "C" in "CLCLC" Power Supply, I have to wait 14weeks now for delivery.
I am using the ERSE 12gage Copper Foil Inductors of 4mH
Copper Foil Inductor Coils | Foil Q | ERSE and of 2.2mH Copper Foil Inductor Coils | Foil Q | ERSE.
The 4mH coils are backordered to, I will purchase the rest of the components when I am delivered the backordered items, up to 14 weeks.

Do You think I have made a good choice, I just had to jump in and make a decision because I could spend the rest of my life researching these components, I am on medical disability now so I dont have much extra money and this power supply costs over $1,000.00 for the components, but I feel comfortable with the purchase that this will be an amazing Power Supply for the money.

Thank You for your comments.

Last edited by SCAIFF001; 3rd August 2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: highlight Links in red
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:19 PM   #809
diyAudio Member

You've made a mistake ordering 25V caps if you are still planning to use a 20VAC transformer. I've been banging that drum for a long time, thought you'd heard it.

Your first caps will be on the edge if you use an 18VAC transformer, but then your rails will be about 19V.

You'd mentioned the disability income before, which is why I kept pushing cheaper alternatives. You are way up the diminishing returns curve. I'd go with CRC at 50,000 uf and doubt there would be any issues with the sound. Then spend the difference on better speakers.

Last edited by BobEllis; 3rd August 2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 3rd August 2010, 06:57 PM   #810
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

I have been reading and watching this thread. With some amusement I might add. I have to agree 100% with Bob. I would go with 35 volt caps. I would use standard inductors and CRC or CLC is fine.

I have found that chasing the last 1% in terms of sound will do nothing but drain your bank account and drive you nuts. This comes from my experience with a brother in law who has chased that 1% for years with a commercially built system. Needless to say he has spent countless thousands of dollars on modified high end equipment and speakers. In the end, he gets no more enjoyment from his stereo than I do from mine. Accept that I have the pride of having built it myself.

Hide this!Advertise here!