Aleph J-X Amp Project - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2009, 03:04 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
The subject of spacing devices for heatsink mounting always comes up. I already tried to explain it few times in a past that small boards are much more practical, as they offer more options in building.

It is OK to have long board (like First Watt) in a commercial product when you deal with one heatsink type only and use that heatsink in all your other products.

With infamous GB offers, we sometimes deal with hundreds of boards and everybody uses different heatsinks, that's why I prefer to make boards suitable for EVERYBODY. Those who want to make it long, can simply add extention wires.

I'd also like to mention that at least 200 of A30 boards have been sold in a past, 300 F4 boards and 300 F5 boards, all with a compatible spacing of devices. I simply cannot do it any other way now.

Besides, those are only 30watt amps, the heat is not really an issue here.

Quote:
Originally posted by EUVL
a) Why not make the PCB ready for an AJ-X ?
b) What pin layout for input diff pair (2SK109) ?
c) How much ? (price and X-Readiness will determine my quantities)

As you all know, you can still use 2x 2SJ74BLs with the 2SJ109 pin layout.
I actually still keep four A30 boards with intention of making an X circuit. When A J schematic was released, I was hoping to modify A30 boards for J version.

So yes, I am considering AJ-X amp. See attached pic. I could make 2.5 x 8" board with center piece designed specifically for X version. Two side boards are breakable and fully fuctional single channels of Aleph J. I somehow need to figure out how to elegantly interface all 3 boards for X-men option. And also, it would finally be a long board

I'd like to keep the price below $20 including shipping. I could also offer boards for free and simply charge $20 shipping

I can use any desired pin layout for input devices (SJ74 would certainly be given priority)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg a.jpg (100.0 KB, 3375 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 11th June 2009, 04:38 PM   #32
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Peter,

I don't think you need to make both power stage in an X breakable, though I won't object either. Just one side breakable is OK.

It is IMHO better to have the break line on the non-copper side, so that the conductors will remain intact. Otherwise jumpers for the rails are not really ideal.

Below USD 20 sounds good. I might want 8 if the layout suits me and price is right, but 2-4 at least.

And please use pin layout of 2SJ109. As shown, 2x 2SJ74 will always fit to the 2SJ109 pin layout.

Cheers,
Patrick
Old 11th June 2009, 04:58 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Can I simply replace the boards in my aleph 30s with these new boards???

I'm good for 6 channels...
Old 11th June 2009, 05:22 PM   #34
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
The subject of spacing devices for heatsink mounting always comes up. I already tried to explain it few times in a past that small boards are much more practical, as they offer more options in building.

It is OK to have long board (like First Watt) in a commercial product when you deal with one heatsink type only and use that heatsink in all your other products.

With infamous GB offers, we sometimes deal with hundreds of boards and everybody uses different heatsinks, that's why I prefer to make boards suitable for EVERYBODY. Those who want to make it long, can simply add extention wires.

I'd also like to mention that at least 200 of A30 boards have been sold in a past, 300 F4 boards and 300 F5 boards, all with a compatible spacing of devices. I simply cannot do it any other way now.

Besides, those are only 30watt amps, the heat is not really an issue here.

I actually still keep four A30 boards with intention of making an X circuit. When A J schematic was released, I was hoping to modify A30 boards for J version.

So yes, I am considering AJ-X amp. See attached pic. I could make 2.5 x 8" board with center piece designed specifically for X version. Two side boards are breakable and fully fuctional single channels of Aleph J. I somehow need to figure out how to elegantly interface all 3 boards for X-men option. And also, it would finally be a long board

I'd like to keep the price below $20 including shipping. I could also offer boards for free and simply charge $20 shipping

I can use any desired pin layout for input devices (SJ74 would certainly be given priority)
Peter, I'm sorry if MHO creates a conundrum of sorts, but, it's MHO, and I tried to project that idea in my post. You do great work and service to us all but, I believe it is easy to understand my POV from the Heat sink perspective. I think my understanding is correct from my POV. Your's is also a great versital, universal, philosophy also, that makes more people happy than I could ever hope to . I have no problem with your boards but, I'm after all the ideal parametors I can get(DIY) and your stuff is very well suited to everyone's position. Just not always the most ideal for me. I still go for your work that I'm intersted in even if it's not my idea of perfect
Who is perfect around here??? Certainly not me
Don't worry about me, keep it up
Old 11th June 2009, 07:53 PM   #35
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

I would be interested if someone can tell me if my Spica TC-50 will play nice and behave themselves with the Aleph J.

Specs are around 83 to 84 dB sensitivity and is a 4 ohm design. I know Mr. Pass said he designed the J more in line with 8 ohm speakers.

Does an Aleph 3 make better sense for my speakers? I have cviller's F5 boards but I'll wait on that build until I can afford a nice set of efficient speakers.
Old 11th June 2009, 08:00 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

ok Peter fair point could use extra LONG connecting wires to the devices, still not sure about the heat issue though. If you have a significant number of buyers wanting it this way then I will just have to accept it.
Old 11th June 2009, 09:14 PM   #37
Banned

Hi audiojoy you dont have to mount using wires or using a very narrow chassis.
If the heat sinks are tall enough you can mount the whole pcb parrallel with the face of the heat sink.
So you can use any dimension chassis (ie width and depth) as long as the heatsinks on each side are tall enough to fit the whole pcb to it (ie one heatsink per pcb).

Have a look at the pictures here to give you a beer idea of what I am trying to say.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...77#post1847777
Old 12th June 2009, 04:50 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Talking Hello

Hi Peter,

Could I be put down for 2?
Oh by the way this would be my first post but,
I've been researching this forum quite a bit in the
last several months. There is a wealth of information.
I'm currently collecting parts for the F5 and B1. Thanks
to Jack, Cvillar, and Nelson Pass I was able to
get started with the pcbs and some components.
Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

Eric
Old 12th June 2009, 04:50 AM   #39
karlo is offline karlo  Croatia
diyAudio Member

I am interested in one stereo set.

Regards
Karlo
Old 12th June 2009, 05:52 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

Thanks Thanh

got it now--- that board was for a single channel--- thats my inexperience showing here. Just thought having opposing output devices meant it was a stereo set up. Sorry my fault , ok in that case the wire connectors would be very short indeed, or if the depth of the enclosure side panel is deep enough it should be able to fit the whole circuit board onto the heatsink!!

In that case apologies for the confusion earlier on in the thread.

Hide this!Advertise here!