Aleph J-X Amp Project

I've been poking around and haven't yet found a definitive answer:

What is the X in this project? Looks like the Aleph J will take an SE or bal input signal to me, so i presume the X is a bridging/parallel mod?

edit: found an answer. Ground one input and all will be well. Put myself on the wiki, down for mono blocks :)

Last edited:
Hi,

concerning the IRFP240 for a Aleph J-X (X-Version):

Which fets have to be matched?

Q5 <-> Q6 and Q7 <->Q8 (matched pairs)
or
Q5,Q6,Q7,Q8 (Matched quadrupels)
or
Q5,Q6,Q7,Q8 for both Aleph J-pcbs (8 matched fets)

Regards,
Marcel

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
AJX Transformer

Regarding transformer for the AJX version.

Read that 600VA is what is recommended for AJ version.
Is a 18v+18v 600VA for one channel of AJX a good starting point or should the VA starting point be a higher value, say 800VA or 1000VA per channel?

Once I get the correct info, I'll put it in the AJX Build Wiki.

Thanks,

Vince

i've received my boards from Peter (thank you!) and am starting
to get my parts orders together.

i went to mouser and found that the BOM1.1 part numbers correspond to 1/4W resistors while the BOM description calls for 0.6W resistors.

also, it's not clear to me if we want the cmf50 or cmf55 version (fit horizontally vs. fit vertically)...........which is better matched to peter's boards?

thanks

I wasn't actually correct, the DC offset was approx 2mV, I forgot about the offset produced by the generator.

The amp runs hot: the 8x8 heatsink with 1.75 fins was way too small for 2 x 18V transformer.

For AJ-X configuration, front end components (inside white border) should not be installed. I just removed them from test channel and I'm slowly getting ready for an X

Hi Peter,

I haven't seen any recent post from you about the result of your AJ-X version. Could you share it to us what was the result and your listening experience? A picture/photo to look at would also be nice.