Aleph J-X Amp Project - Page 130 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2012, 02:26 PM   #1291
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have been keeping the soulder iron point clean, or at least I thought it was, I have sanded the tip with sand paper and the iron works great now, I never knew that I had to do this sanding of the tip, and will redo all of my saulder iron connections when this problem surfaced.
I put dull and dirty solder tips into a drill (like a drill bit) and spin the tip into a pinched fold of sandpaper to resharpen and clean solder tips. It's quick, and works great.
Old 25th January 2012, 07:23 AM   #1292
diyAudio Member

Default cleaning souldering iron tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post
I put dull and dirty solder tips into a drill (like a drill bit) and spin the tip into a pinched fold of sandpaper to resharpen and clean solder tips. It's quick, and works great.
Thank You the drill works well, I wish I would of known this B4 I started populating the pcb(s).

Ian
Old 25th January 2012, 07:34 AM   #1293
diyAudio Member

Default assemblely of the populated pcb Front End

The front end pcb has four inputs on it, three for the XLR ballanced input, "+" & "-" & "grd", what is the fourth input "SG" ?

I will be using the XLR input, from the output of my computer sound card driveing optically a ballanced digital analoge converter from the following:

http://www.fetaudio.com/store, look into it it is an amazing DA converter, maybe the best DA converter money can buy, a perfect match for the Aleph J-X

Is there anything I have to do with my pcb(s) before installing them, any tests, or setting of the Pentiometer P1 ?

Thank You For Any Help

Ian

Last edited by SCAIFF001; 25th January 2012 at 07:46 AM. Reason: added link http://www.fetaudio.com/store
Old 25th January 2012, 07:53 AM   #1294
oiphy is offline oiphy  Norway
diy newbie
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAIFF001 View Post
Thank You the drill works well, I wish I would of known this B4 I started populating the pcb(s).

Ian
U shuold have a sponge moist,not wet. use it at all time when soldering. If using sandpaper on the tip you'll remove the iron on the tip thus ruining the tip.

regards
Old 25th January 2012, 11:42 AM   #1295
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

if you have a proper brass wool tip cleaner instead of a sponge you wouldnt need to do this. the wet sponge is bad for tips due to thermal shock cycling the tip each time. having the tip hot all the time is better than hot-cool-hot-cool and is the reason the surface becomes so oxidized
Old 25th January 2012, 12:31 PM   #1296
diyAudio Member

SCAIFF001, I think you should open a build thread of your own to get support.
Old 25th January 2012, 01:26 PM   #1297
oiphy is offline oiphy  Norway
diy newbie
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
if you have a proper brass wool tip cleaner instead of a sponge you wouldnt need to do this. the wet sponge is bad for tips due to thermal shock cycling the tip each time. having the tip hot all the time is better than hot-cool-hot-cool and is the reason the surface becomes so oxidized
hence the moist not wet sponge..... when I took my solder sertificate (nasa approved) some years ago we learned tat the sponge was the best option. the heatcycling you refer to will happen anyhow when tip hits the soldering objekt...
Old 25th January 2012, 06:52 PM   #1298
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCAIFF001 View Post
The front end pcb has four inputs on it, three for the XLR ballanced input, "+" & "-" & "grd", what is the fourth input "SG" ?
When you check traces it shows that GND and SG are connected; SG means signal ground and is the same as GND.

I used two separate pads: one for input signal ground, the other to connect ground reference from the power supply.

I can't be much help in troubleshooting as I didn't built AJ-X yet, however the boards were tested and work fine if properly set up.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 25th January 2012, 07:03 PM   #1299
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiphy View Post
hence the moist not wet sponge..... when I took my solder sertificate (nasa approved) some years ago we learned tat the sponge was the best option. the heatcycling you refer to will happen anyhow when tip hits the soldering objekt...
well put it this way, using the hacko brass wool i'm still on the same standard tip that came with the iron i bought nearly 3 years ago and is the main tip along with a 2mm chisel I use for hours each day for work, as well as hours each day for hobby time. a wet/moist/whatever sponge will be more likely to give thermal shock, not just take the heat out of the tip like soldering does; ive never had to sand it, but hey use whatever works for you.
Old 26th January 2012, 12:02 PM   #1300
diyAudio Member

Default cleaning soulder iron tip

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
well put it this way, using the hacko brass wool i'm still on the same standard tip that came with the iron i bought nearly 3 years ago and is the main tip along with a 2mm chisel I use for hours each day for work, as well as hours each day for hobby time. a wet/moist/whatever sponge will be more likely to give thermal shock, not just take the heat out of the tip like soldering does; ive never had to sand it, but hey use whatever works for you.

I have been using the sponge along with the brass wool stuff for cleaning and only the drill seems to really work well for me.

Ian

Hide this!Advertise here!