Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hello there,

These is my questions :

1) Can anyone know how to arrange my B1 buffer + Shunt type attenuator + tube pre-amp order for the best deliver the source from CD player or Phono ?

2) What is the optimal value of the signal in series resistor for the shunt attenuator with B1 buffer interpose ?

Thanks for your answer in advance

Attachments

• IMAG0026.jpg
    IMAG0026.jpg
    473.5 KB · Views: 739
The B1 has two switchable inputs. That's where the two sources connect.
Then the switches should feed the selected signal to the attenuator.
Finally the output of the attenuator is fed to the buffer since the attenuator cannot alone drive the cables to the power amplifier and/or the pre-amp.

Do you really need a pre-amp?
Which signal needs more amplification?
Do that before you send the signal to the attenuator.

Hello Andrew,

Tube preamp was my DIY project finished in few years ago but last year I added B1 buffer on it. All the sound and presentation is slightly better than before. Right now I am replacing my Preamp's 24 steps attenuator by shunt type attenuator (with remote control and has 80 steps). Actually, I want the phono signal can get a better presentation.

My concern is the order arrangement for the shunt type attenuator and B1 buffer. You know the shunt type attenuator drawback is vary of impedance to its next stage. Base on my situation, how following option is better deployment ?

Option 1) Source signal -> Shunt type attenuator -> B1 buffer -> Tube Preamp
Option 2) Source signal -> B1 buffer -> Shunt type attenuator -> Tube Preamp

Another question is how to selection the value of series resistor inside the attenuator ?

The B1 has two switchable inputs. That's where the two sources connect.
Then the switches should feed the selected signal to the attenuator.
Finally the output of the attenuator is fed to the buffer since the attenuator cannot alone drive the cables to the power amplifier and/or the pre-amp..............

...................My concern is the order arrangement for the shunt type attenuator and B1 buffer. You know the shunt type attenuator drawback is vary of impedance to its next stage. Base on my situation, how following option is better deployment ?

Option 1) Source signal -> Shunt type attenuator -> B1 buffer -> Tube Preamp...................

Is R4 the correct output resistor to change? If so, would it be a correct assumption to calculate the follower's output impedance as 260 - R4?

R4 = 220ohm, therefore the follower's output impedance is 40ohm

Without a scope, or test equipment (apart from a DMM), how could I check to see if a lower value is causing it to be unstable?

Thanks

I want to etch this

Hi everyone,
I've read all post here from page 1 to last one... need some days :D

I want to use my own layout, please some comment before I go to etch it PCB :)
Maybe I miss something important...

Question:
Is that okay to use 2 + 3 LED's (bright one) instead of 3 + 5 LED's...?
(all I need is to match the voltage to 5.4v & 9v)

Regards

Attachments

• Dirrect placement.GIF
    Dirrect placement.GIF
    50 KB · Views: 521
  • Top View.jpg
    Top View.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 525
  • DCB1 john layout.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I wouldn't pretend that I have the energy to scrutinize your layout for connections (40C here). Just make sure it follows the schematics accurately.
But others may spot something or not.
Unfortunately super bright LEDS have a reputation for being noisier than normal ones which I can not confirm how much right now.
But surely I have never seen them in instrumentation as voltage references. Better use 3mm generic reds or greens in the 3+5 proven configuration.