Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Tell us you use V class from the start! That is why your offset is a bit. Same % DVM accuracy matching in them VS a BL means more gross difference. Its OK for 2SK170V. Use 10K log if you can with your sources Zo. 10VDC is my recommended ballpark, why you wanna go 11? Nice to see your links in a while, and learn more when in final system. Congrats.

Oh sorry for not mentioning that I've got high IDSS ones before, I totally forgot :headbash:

I've no specific reason other than the THD vs Supply voltage graphs from the original B1 thread - someone played with that there and posted the results. It doesn't really matter to me as long as I'm over 9v per rail, really.

And as far as my listening session went - it sings :sing: . It definitely gives more life to my system and I can't wait to put it in a box and enjoy it properly.

I got the voltages to +-11.17, kind of accidentally similar. As I said, it's hard to know without proper measurements, but if anything - it definitely doesn't sound worse. I lost a small amount of DC offset, not enough to matter and totally by accident.

The "Do my neighbours hate me yet" test says it all though - with the DCB1 I don't lose any detail at glass-shattering volumes. That makes me very very happy indeed. It's a clear step forward from what I used to have.

I also mounted the heatsinks properly, with some good thermal grease. They're nowhere close to being hot and they're tempting me to parallel another 51r at the last position :) No, no - I promise, it's going in the box now, no more soldering for this board!

DCB1 UPDATE

A few days ago, i replaced the CCS resistors with Mills MRA-12 resistors.

2.09v/3.9ohm= 535ma
1.73v/3.5ohm= 494ma

I was previously running at about 350ma....

Well as expected once again i get an improvement in SQ :)

The soundstage seems huge on certain recordings, each musician is more easily decernable and can be followed with ease(good seperation) yet they gel and sound very musical. The bass also has gained weight and control and as a result also sounds musical...but the real supprise for me is the treble...Just easier to hear, and REAL sounding!! Adds alot to the experience.

I checked the heat of the mosfets after an hour of listening...fan running at 5v...the mosfets are now hot, but not burning...im easily able to hold my finger on them without having to move away.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...especially for those with the Blue Boards.

Alon

A few days ago, i replaced the CCS resistors with Mills MRA-12 resistors.

2.09v/3.9ohm= 535ma
1.73v/3.5ohm= 494ma

I was previously running at about 350ma....

Well as expected once again i get an improvement in SQ :)

The soundstage seems huge on certain recordings, each musician is more easily decernable and can be followed with ease(good seperation) yet they gel and sound very musical. The bass also has gained weight and control and as a result also sounds musical...but the real supprise for me is the treble...Just easier to hear, and REAL sounding!! Adds alot to the experience.

I checked the heat of the mosfets after an hour of listening...fan running at 5v...the mosfets are now hot, but not burning...im easily able to hold my finger on them without having to move away.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...especially for those with the Blue Boards.

Alon

as salas mentioned several posts back, the 9240 & 240 fets have low transconductance at the lower currents and work better when the current approaches a few amps.

has anyone tried using smaller die-size fets (maybe in isolated TO-220Fullpak case) instead which would have higher transconductance at lower currents (e.g. 100mA)? i know that this might require shaping the leads to fit the pcb holes, etc...

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Some 220s have even less gm. Some about the same but with different capacitances. You will not avoid about the same type of gfs curves anyway. There is a reason why V Mos lend better to class A amps. Don't forget the mounting screw insulation if you experiment with any of steeper curves you may spot.

Should I put an input low-pass filter when I'm casing this, or there's no advantage? My chipamp has no filter right now, but I'm putting 220pf across the inputs, mostly to avoid clicks&pops from the crazy lighting in this house. I might plug it into something else though.

Pictures coming soon, I'm almost done.

I had to rewire my 1950's house in Rhode Island to get rid of the pops. I had to ground all the outlets in the basement and then I had to run a whole new dedicated line with a new breaker to audio. I solved most of the problems that way, like problems with the refrigerator starting up and popping my speakers. There was still a super loud pop once in a while and I figured out it was from a piece of trash lightswitch that when I opened it up it was actually arcing dangerously. Replaced that one and everything was good.
Uriah

Last small feedback:

CSS was at 80-84 mA. CSS heatsink was awrm-ish. Shunt heatsink didn't get any heat. No wonder, given the transistors were eating ~30mA in total.

So, another 51ohm resistor in the last spot, raising the current to 120mA. Now the CSS isn't much warmer, the shunt is pretty competing in heat - Bingo :)

My miniature heatsinks are gonna handle that, no more.

5 more drill holes for the RCA and the power-on LED and done. Weekend is coming, perfect.