Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

My finished attempt - old computor case, homemade PCB - sounds very nice so very pleased :D - I built this and a SymaSym 5.3 as a beginners project, but was only able to do it by referring to the two threads on this forum, which have supplied me with all the technical support that I have needed. My thanks to Salas and everybody else whose expertise has been shared via this forum

Attachments

• IMG_1055.JPG
    IMG_1055.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 649
DCB1 is great with LDRs and please.. this is no sales pitch.
I tried a lot of different resistances and if you would like to do the same you will find sonic differences.
I often say I liked 6k the best. It is where I settled and enjoy. However.. 600R, yes below 1k sounded phenomenal. It worried me that my CDP could not drive it for long so I upped to 6k and enjoyed that.
Inspect the specs of your source and find the output impedance. I dont know the max you should not go above as far as source output impedance but I think mine is below 50R and it will drive near anything. If you mess with these resistances in the Lightspeed it will be rewarding but be careful with your source to not over load it.
I wish I had more to contribute about not overloading.
Uriah

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hypnotizeonbench.jpg

My local electric service is over the top, literally. The transformer sits at the corner of my yard. I have ~122 VAC. Along with this I am using a "25.2 VCT" transformer. It is pretty generous as well.

I have +/- 14.7 VAC rails going to this. I hoped to be able to "hot rod".

V across R1's are 1.462 & 1.502

The output relay clicks.

DC offset is .001/.003 V

Vout is 9.48 & -9.19

The mosfets are P140 & P9140. I do plan to heatsink them.

Hi Ed,

Did it work in the audio system OK in the end?

Hi! I have a request for the buyers of the Gigawork pot. Could you please let me know if you are still satisfied (in terms of sound and reliability) with your purchase now that you've had some time with it? I'd like to buy it for my dcb1 and I was wondering if it's indeed a better idea than something like this ALPS. Then there are some other stepped ones like this but they start to depart from the "peanuts price".

Greets Salas!

Not yet, I had forgotten the attenuator shown was set up as 10K a long time ago. So, I have udailey's LDRs and will be making an attempt to listen soon.
This is part of a system make-over. New speakers will be actively tri-amped.
Econowaves with 4x Scan S 25W/8565 subs
Leach 12X
AAK's SymAsym DTV (is working & recommended)
F5

I will bring it all together in the end. ;)

Hi! I have a request for the buyers of the Gigawork pot. Could you please let me know if you are still satisfied (in terms of sound and reliability) with your purchase now that you've had some time with it? I'd like to buy it for my dcb1 and I was wondering if it's indeed a better idea than something like this ALPS. Then there are some other stepped ones like this but they start to depart from the "peanuts price".

Be aware with fake Alps on Ebay. The original ones I have don't have these rounded solder terminals. They look like these ones:
http://www.kaponk.com/files/pot-alps-rk27-50ka-01.jpg

I bought an attenuator type switch from ebay. A vanilla one, without any resistor soldered. After some days of use, I realized that it gives bad contact in some middle position. It is a 10$ on on ebay too, I don't recommend anyone to get it.

Regards,
Regi

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Greets Salas!

Not yet, I had forgotten the attenuator shown was set up as 10K a long time ago. So, I have udailey's LDRs and will be making an attempt to listen soon.
This is part of a system make-over. New speakers will be actively tri-amped.
Econowaves with 4x Scan S 25W/8565 subs
Leach 12X
AAK's SymAsym DTV (is working & recommended)
F5

I will bring it all together in the end. ;)

Thanks for the info. Promising system...
10K pot is OK too for DCB1 if your sources don't mind.

Are you planning to place a pot between de dac and thr DCB1?
If not, I bet you will have no problems. Output impedance shall be low enought, and DCB1 input impedance is high enought.

If you plan to place a pot, depending of your dac's output impedance, you may have no problems. Do you know how much is it? With a 20k pot in front of the dcb1, there are not many devices that will cause a problem.

Resuming, yes we can :=)

Are you planning to place a pot between de dac and thr DCB1?
If not, I bet you will have no problems. Output impedance shall be low enought, and DCB1 input impedance is high enought.

If you plan to place a pot, depending of your dac's output impedance, you may have no problems. Do you know how much is it? With a 20k pot in front of the dcb1, there are not many devices that will cause a problem.

Resuming, yes we can :=)

no pot between DAC and DCB1. DCB1 output to preamp or tube buffer then preamp.

I currently have my DAC output to output trafo's. just want to try with DCB1.

thanks