Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
They could, especially when you can assure very short and sturdy connections of output voltages and ground between them if stack one on top of the other, maybe with pins. I don't know if they will retain all their subjective performance as if with individual regs, but electrically is most certainly feasible.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

I hope I have managed to score 100 2SK170s, so at least for the time being the issue of finding substitute parts has gone away... We'll see if/when they arrive...

On a related issue, I have a couple of questions about building the PSU for the B1 active crossover, which will use multiple copies of a symmetrical B1. These use BF862 in place of 2SK170 in the filters, but that's irrelevant to the questions, and since I plan on using the circuit Salas posted in #11 and #12 here, this thread seems the right place to ask.

1. Instead of building one monster PSU for all 14 buffer circuits or building multiple copies of the whole PSU circuit, somewhere (I can't find it right now) someone suggested splitting the circuit, using one large CCS block feeding several shunts. (Following a suggestion of AndrewT, perhaps four shunts - one for each channel high-pass and low-pass, although it might be fewer or more). Looking at the schematics, if I do this I would put all the leds and so forth in the large block, and only have multiple copies of the part formed by R3,R6,Q2,Q3,Q4 and C2, right? (I'm looking at the +ve regulator here - obviously the -ve one is done in the same way.)

2. If I use a nicely heatsinked IRFP9240 for Q1, to handle all the current, can I be cheap and use something more modest for Q4 without compromising SQ too much? I am thinking of something like IRF9620, IRF9630 or similar T0-220 device. If the performance is really much better with the IRFP9240 I'll pay, but it's a large cost so I'd like to be sure there's a real advantage. (Before you all think I'm too much of a cheapskate, please bear in mind that down here IRFP9240 will cost me something like $7 or $8 each, IRFP240 are similar, whereas their smaller brothers are much cheaper. I would need something like 10 of them...)

Cheers

Nigel

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All those things sound feasible, like using one heavy CCS and to star out in multiple shunts with TO-220 Mosfets etc, but I am not sure if it will not be a PITA to layout, check it for oscillations. If you can, and having an oscilloscope, try, but we DCB1S builders have no prior experience of laying out such a scheme and basically you are on your own for practicalities. The error amp and shunt part is what lies under, and to the right of the 3 leds controlled input Mosfet. Also the locality is one positive thing, low divided current through lower Ygfs Mosfets is a minus.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That was a remedy for those without a Darlington like BC517, when some prototypes showed some erratic NPN relay driver and relay coil ''chatter'' mishaps. A 0.1uF to 0.15uF cap across B,C of the NPN under the coil could shut down the coil buzzing, soldered underneath and directly to the NPN's pads, hidden from view. No further report of chatter was mentioned after specifying BC517 relay driver. If you just happen to have a BC550 for that or other, the 0.22uF cap will still save the day if you chance on an upsetting relay coil. The 7812 is the 3 terminal 12V reg for the delay and relays.

That was a remedy for those without a Darlington like BC517, when some prototypes showed some erratic NPN relay driver and relay coil ''chatter'' mishaps. A 0.1uF to 0.15uF cap across B,C of the NPN under the coil could shut down the coil buzzing, soldered underneath and directly to the NPN's pads, hidden from view. No further report of chatter was mentioned after specifying BC517 relay driver. If you just happen to have a BC550 for that or other, the 0.22uF cap will still save the day if you chance on an upsetting relay coil. The 7812 is the 3 terminal 12V reg for the delay and relays.
As you say, this tiny cap will stop the chatter mishaps by putting it across B,C of the NPN.
What is the 7812 cap for, then?

Another last question, should I have to make all the jumpers printed on the silkscreen? I intend to make a full hypnotize board (not only the shunt regulator part). I supose I have to.

Thanks for all!

Hi everybody,
as i´m new to this thread i´m a bit confused
about finding information.....so many sites.
Just three questions and hoping to get answers:

1: how do i best and to what data do i have to match the
b1 sk170 jfets?
2: how to match the LED´s in salas reg?
3: whats input- and outputimpedence of B1? Is there some
range to fit inputimp.?

Greetings Ulf