Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
npapp:

4 non matched Leds and 1k trimmers connected as rheostats instead of the fifth Led. Use pins in the 5th place and crocodile clips, so you will not unsolder anything and destroy the pads. After you set it, measure the trimmers and substitute resistors upright soldered on those pins. They will be different.

7812 in place and there is still no relay clicking. LED still not turning on near 7812. After several seconds I start to hear this weird sound. Real low volume and it sounds like if you put your ear in a Conch shell. I dont think this is the sound I was looking for LOL :)
.5A fuse blew. I replaced it and it is not blowing again. However I got one of those Antek 50VA 15V toroids and wired it up, then turned it on and started hearing that sound for the first time. So I removed it and put back the CT transformer. Sound is still there.
Still worries me. Rails are different now. 10.2 and 11. R1 has 2.16 and 2.04.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Kannan had a ''chatter'' and Tea bag. Kannan changed a 7812 and was gone. If it is that, put a 0.15u cap across C,B of the transistor that drives the relay (the one facing towards the 2 drop resistors). But first, tell me, what voltage you measure from those 2 resistors output to ground?

Its hard to tell. I think I will go pick up my wife from work and then after dinner add that cap and see if I get rid of the noise.
Uriah

When you power up - you will not hear the noise till few seconds later - you can hear the click of the realy coils and then you will hear the noise. If that is the case, then the noise is from the relay due to some sort of voltage spikes on relay coils. You can solder 150nF cap - across the transistor driving between C/B - you can read the thread - you can eevn see Salas' post with clear location of this cap. This should cure the chatter issue. Any value 0.1nF to .22NF cap will do.
kannan

sorry posted at same time, I didnt want to stick my head to close to it. I will now enter the mouth of the beast.
Uriah

Old car repair trick I used to use listening to the inside of an engine. I would place a long screwdriver on that part of the motor and my ear against the other end. The sound would then be transmitted to my ear. If you have something like a dowel rod, maybe a wooden ruler, you could place it on the relay and hear if it was from there??