Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

Those Mosfets still amaze me with their ruggedness. So tiny sinks and they survived. Didn't I tell to use proper sinks or bolt to thick floor so many times? You can't run on same sinks you use for regular setting a hot rod. OK, killing a Mosfet is no big deal, but if someone uses a DC amp without output relay DC sense, bye bye speakers. OTOH, when prepared rightly the anti environmental setting attitude has some subjective benefits.:D

Seems like the Mosfets are fine when a fan is on them...was playing music loud for an hour, i checked the mosfets and they were'nt even warm:D

Salas i have a question, not sure this is the place...i want to use your shunt reg to power my optivol, would i have to remove the power supply section from the optivol (0.1uf-7805-10uf-0.1uf) or can they stay?

Also sorry about the picture attachments, i wasn't sure how to do it properly before, and thanks for changing it for me.

Alon

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas,
I build Hypnotize system, everything is great, except when power ON and relay Switch still OFF, I heard BIG humm and it disappear when switch ON.
What's wrong with my systemm ???

tq

We have no reports here about such an incident before. If your amplifier has capacitor input you can hardwire the relay signal points always on. Without info I can't guess your system. Do you use BC517 for driving the relay?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Seems like the Mosfets are fine when a fan is on them...was playing music loud for an hour, i checked the mosfets and they were'nt even warm:D

Salas i have a question, not sure this is the place...i want to use your shunt reg to power my optivol, would i have to remove the power supply section from the optivol (0.1uf-7805-10uf-0.1uf) or can they stay?

Also sorry about the picture attachments, i wasn't sure how to do it properly before, and thanks for changing it for me.

Alon

If it stays then you feed 8V and the shunt is a prereg. If it goes, then you feed 5V and the shunt is the only reg. Listen to both options.

50-ish should be OK with these FETs. My mini-Aleph is at high 50's in summer, and it has survived 2 summers.
Keep in mind that computer microprocessors are ok to be run until 80 or 90º. They will last less than when being colder but, who has had to change a microprocessor because of being "too much used"? I work in the IT industry and i'm still left to see a processor broken. Not a motherboard full of capacitors. Not a RAM module. I mean silicon microprocessors.

45º? That makes me laught. We are just right now at 40º ambient temp in my city, even 42º in some other spanish cities. That temp is good for keeping them in the drawer :p

wushuliu,
2x 7ohm 5w resistors should be nice to test, I would think in a bit higher wattage for long term use. And keep an eye on your case-heatsink temperature, it can get QUITE hot. Just test it and see ;)

Uriah,
For the transformer matter, the default bias is 60ma aprox. for 2 rails. Having a voltage of +/-10v, that is a power of 20*0.06= 1.2w. We are using a heavily overrated 50VA trafo. If my calcs are right, we can still able to suck 40 times the power from the same trafo, if my calcs are correct.
Apart from that, in this shunt regulator there are no supply transients regarding the transformer. The DCB1 shunt regulator is sucking a constant draw of 60ma by default. No more, no less.

Turns out my treble glare was probably due to oscillation. It was just bothersome enough that I spend all day trying to track down the cause. I finally I increased the 220Rs to 1k. That did the trick, sound came back into balance, including fuller midbass. Tough one to figure out because everything sounded just good enough to not raise a flag right away.

Also replaced the 10 ohm 5w with 7 ohm 12w Eagle resistors from SpeakerCity down the street, and picked up some 3.5 ohm just in case... :D

when the Hyno output relay opens, it leaves a 1M0 between the signal hot and signal ground.

This is seen by the receiver as a 1M0 aerial at the other end of the interconnect.

Is it a valve amp with very high impedance? First system I see report it minds the output resistor. Weird. Maybe we will get more info by the user. It can work without the 1M too if there is a reactive situation. Do a test without 1M sithot28.
if the 1M0 is removed then the signal wire is unterminated when the relay is open and that will make interference worse.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Turns out my treble glare was probably due to oscillation. It was just bothersome enough that I spend all day trying to track down the cause. I finally I increased the 220Rs to 1k. That did the trick, sound :D

That's the DIY way.:yes::yes::yes::yes:

I would consider a Antek 15v 50-100va toriod or better yet a pcb mount type hammond 229D30 if you desire < 500ma.:2c:
Neither will set you back a lot. I've used both and can recommend them.

Hi,
every time I contribute to a thread someone takes offense at my constructive criticism.

To reduce this, I now try to only comment negatively when I see gross errors.

The output relay in Hypno (& Mez) are wired wrongly. The modifications, which can be made on the PCB, are quite detailed involving cutting traces and hardwiring the relay pins to various locations and extra resistors.

I saw no point in trying to detail all these changes and setting my self up for more criticism.
I did my changes on the PCB and left the problem circuit that only becomes apparent when the output relay is de-energised and the receiver is still active.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
We can't know nuisance when we haven't experienced it in so many systems but if you find something that it will give nuisance in some occasions please do give guides, nobody takes it wrongly around here.

P.S. I got a Mez playing now, went there and switched it on/off 5 times with the 120K Zin valve amp on. Got no hum in those cycles on 95dB speakers, ear next to mid woofer. So I don't know the issue first hand.

different opinions are welcome.
I regularly enter discussion where I am not sure and ask for criticism.
I improve by learning. That can come from both (my own bad) experience and the example of others who have been there before me.

I try to lead by example, but it takes a while for school kids to realise. Many will be in their 30s before they come to realise that they wasted their chances while at school. I accept that, I cannot force anyone to change their opinion or behaviour.

Outright personal attacks are quite unwelcome. That's all I am willing to say.