Building a symmetrical psu B1 buffer - Page 71 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 04:46 PM   #701
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member
 
Tea-Bag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kennebunk
Blog Entries: 7
Progress report. Time to tweak DCB1.

Completed standalone lightspeed to put into this thing....
Blew up Salas baby-shunt 5v power supply.Need some new LEDs. (I know how I blew it up, incorrect hookup to Bench Power supply.)
Found 2 X 15ohm 5 watt mills for juicing up the current,
lost 4 220ohm PRPs i planned to swap in from Kiwame's.
So stalled again.
__________________
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 07:12 PM   #702
DQ is offline DQ  Romania
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
If you are increasing the current and implicitly the heat, then perhaps the Lightspeed's optocouplers might not be so happy living under the same hood?! The author of the design even puts those optocouplers in wax and keeps them thermally coupled together.

This is the reason why I'm thinking about making a nice small wooden case for the LS, physically connected on top of the DCB1 case and with wires going through the top of the DCB1 and the bottom of the LS case, respectively. Would look kinda strange, but the unusual look has already been settled when I decided to use some rubber pass-through collars to get my diy IC wires inside the DCB1 chassis and solder them directly to the board. There will be a couple of RCA in and out connectors too, though. The best place for those pass-through collars would be the top of the case, of course . If I don't change my mind, the DCB1 case would open by removing one or perhaps both side walls, like a computer case.
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 07:24 PM   #703
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
Progress report. Time to tweak DCB1.

Completed standalone lightspeed to put into this thing....
Blew up Salas baby-shunt 5v power supply.Need some new LEDs. (I know how I blew it up, incorrect hookup to Bench Power supply.)
Found 2 X 15ohm 5 watt mills for juicing up the current,
lost 4 220ohm PRPs i planned to swap in from Kiwame's.
So stalled again.
How much did you spend on the light speed volume pot ? ( just curious )

Jase
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 07:37 PM   #704
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Heat will effect the LDRs. I have them right on the inputs of my DCB1. No problem, but I dont have it biased up any higher than normal. Heat will change them, but then again they are all effected similarly so its really not a big deal. Though it will be interesting to find out what happens with TeaBags if he biases up high. I have never tried them right next to a heatsource.
I gave him the LDRs to play with so his cost is nothing.
I charge 38.42USD for a set of matched LDRs. This includes shipping worldwide, all paypal fees and a $3 donation to DIYaudio. I will be shipping towards the end of January. Just finished measureing 120 of them at 4 different points a few minutes ago. So maybe shipping earlier. We will see.
Uriah
__________________
purchase LDRs anytime Also try my Resistor Replacers or LDR based Input Selector Email me. diyldr@gmail.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 07:58 PM   #705
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
Heat will effect the LDRs. I have them right on the inputs of my DCB1. No problem, but I dont have it biased up any higher than normal. Heat will change them, but then again they are all effected similarly so its really not a big deal. Though it will be interesting to find out what happens with TeaBags if he biases up high. I have never tried them right next to a heatsource.
I gave him the LDRs to play with so his cost is nothing.
I charge 38.42USD for a set of matched LDRs. This includes shipping worldwide, all paypal fees and a $3 donation to DIYaudio. I will be shipping towards the end of January. Just finished measureing 120 of them at 4 different points a few minutes ago. So maybe shipping earlier. We will see.
Uriah
not bad price, what is the total value of the whole thing built minus psu, so would 100$ be enough for parts ie board transistors matched ldr's etc etc ?

Jase
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 08:11 PM   #706
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member
 
Tea-Bag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kennebunk
Blog Entries: 7
My chassis currently has adequate ventilation. The IRF's are attached to the bottom of a steel chassis, so I will back off bias if they run above 50c, or go unstable on steel.
I plan on running lightspeed connected in line with existing volume pot wires of a mesmerize.
I wanted to try the LDR's, because I know what a lightspeed can do in a good system.
The clarity and back of neck hair raising value I heard makes it a want to tweak for me. Why not just do lightspeed? Well plenty of systems don't have low enough output sources to make that a best match. The DCB1 does.

A fully assembled lightspeed with a radio shack pot costs less than a lot of attenuators. Dont need a good one since it's not in the signal path.
__________________
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 08:11 PM   #707
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Yeah Jase, Thats more than enough. I think if you bought my LDRs and then all the parts you need you would be at maybe maybe $70 but thats including a nice little toroid. So it can be done rather inexpensively. And I love the sound with the DCB1. I have to try biasing that thing up when I get some sinks on it.
Uriah
__________________
purchase LDRs anytime Also try my Resistor Replacers or LDR based Input Selector Email me. diyldr@gmail.com
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 08:16 PM   #708
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member
 
Tea-Bag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Kennebunk
Blog Entries: 7
I am just going to steal the power off the main Power Cap (as salas recommended),
Run it into a separate 5v regulator, although I am not against building with another transformer. It may provide better isolation that way, although I am far from an authority on the technical aspects.
__________________
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
  Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2009, 08:22 PM   #709
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator
 
Salas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Athens-Greece
First (minor) smoke in the thread. Its sacrifice for good luck from the GB master. No worries. Keep walking.
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 12:33 AM   #710
jleaman is offline jleaman  Belgium
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Send a message via AIM to jleaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by udailey View Post
Yeah Jase, Thats more than enough. I think if you bought my LDRs and then all the parts you need you would be at maybe maybe $70 but thats including a nice little toroid. So it can be done rather inexpensively. And I love the sound with the DCB1. I have to try biasing that thing up when I get some sinks on it.
Uriah
Yeah i have to track down the pieces, id like to buy a nice potted / board mounted toroidal transformer for my psu, something clean power and nice for the B1 & the light speed.

J'
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New-building of my B1 buffer Babowana Pass Labs 328 20th February 2010 01:14 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 10:59 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2