Building a symmetrical PSU B1 buffer

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, indeed it is. Myself and few buddies...
I'd be interested to hear your thoughts, but don't want to go to OT in this thread....

Fran

I don't see anything bad in a non diy community, external opinion. Is he coming from a magazine background? You must explain to him that he will need a compatible gain structure so to review properly. I.e. An amp with enough voltage gain and sensitive enough speakers. X1 line gain he must cater for. Matching levels with an SPL meter at least.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Revisiting transformers for a second.........I was looking around and found three good candidates. Hammond's 229D24 or their 166L24. Or, if your prefer a toroid there's Triad Magnetics VPT24-2080.

I also know a local custom shop that will probably build toroids for less than the above three.

Regards,
Dan :)

229D24 Hammond Transformers

166L24 Hammond Transformers

VPT24-2080 Triad Magnetics Transformers
As a toroidal supporter, I would go with the Triad Magnetics. Price difference is enought to bet for a low EMI choice and maybe better shaped to fit it easier.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I haven't tried it yet but I am thinking in ordering one. Don't know about resistor's quality, I wouldn't expect them to be high-end, just plain standard resistors. But for that price, it's difficult not to try it.

I've ordered one and intend on using it while I work on a LightSpeed volume control. I'm eventually going to try and make the LS/buffer combination remote controlled by using something like this:

ALPS Quad Potentiometer RK27114MC motorized pot 10K 50K

Or one of these might work well too,

ALPS 25K Motorized Potentiometer

Regards,
Dan :)

Last edited:
Ebay 20 K pot from above ebay link Is very Interesting
anyone tried It
are resistors good

Almost any resistors are much better than any high end pot with slide contact.
More important question is - how good are switch/ contacts, and how long it works in good quality.

Some time ago here was talk about Chinesian pots, look like blue alps, but stepped inside. Normal resistors, but switch was - PCB with slide contact, I don't think it may last long in normal quality.

Anyone opened this Ebay pot?