Building a symmetrical psu B1 buffer - Page 57 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th November 2009, 06:45 PM   #561
billyk is offline billyk  United States
diyAudio Member

I have Takemans in mine too and I will say that after listening a while they are a tad sharp. I love the sound though but have to try another type when my financial picture brightens a bit and I get to building another one. Probably try the carbons.
Old 27th November 2009, 07:22 PM   #562
diyAudio Member

Anyone tried the Audio Note resistors???
Old 27th November 2009, 08:04 PM   #563
udailey is offline udailey  United States
diyAudio Member

Has anyone gone all out and used LDRs for these resistors Muahahahahaaa!
Uriah
Old 27th November 2009, 08:40 PM   #564
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Old 27th November 2009, 08:48 PM   #565
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Townsend View Post
Anyone tried the Audio Note resistors???
Only Shinkoh. Just a couple of AN Tant in a Riaa pre too. Not as good as Shinkoh, but good enough there.
Old 28th November 2009, 12:25 AM   #566
Malka07 is offline Malka07  England
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Cheers. Up your 220k across audio input to 560k if you are to use the 50k pot enough more.
Hi Salas,

Does this also apply to the NP B1 Buffer? R105 and R205 are 221k but on the outputs not inputs...reason i ask is i currently have a NP B1 buffer using a 50k alps pot in shunt mod using 47k series resistors. Sounds good, but i am wondering if using a 20k pot with 18k series resistors would sound better.
Also, i would like to try your version of the b1 buffer. As i already have a p2p version of NP B1 would it be easy enough to remove the caps and p2p the power supply for it? I cant seem to find the schematic for your version.

Thanks

Alon
Old 28th November 2009, 12:32 AM   #567
diyAudio Member

So tonight I tidied up my wiring and swapped out that 220K for 2x 270k in series = 540k. So, most of the sibilance is gone, I've spent the last few hours listening to all my usual tracks and while theres a hint of it there, its much reduced. I found some dale 221R in the box tonight so I might sub those in for the xicon and see what the difference might be.

Theres incredible depth to this preamp. I'm getting some of the best sounds ever from my system with this right now. I think that if I can make it just a shade smoother....

Bear in mind i'm using fostex speakers in a horn so they will be absolutely merciless when it comes to sibilance or harshness. If you have a fabric dome tweeter or similar, you most likely won't ever notice anything.

Its quite a preamp - really something else. Just to underline my comments, its obvious that the bit of sibilance is a characteristic of my build rather than the DCB1 per se.

Fran
Old 28th November 2009, 03:08 AM   #568
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Thanks for reporting your steps. This is very useful to the ones who gonna build. In a system concept much can interact, tone up, or mute enough. Especially on speakers with some break up modes around 5-10kHz, you must be careful with all those details we discussed. The DCB1 has been through proto testing so to know from enough people if there is some characteristic issue or not. That gives us the information to know what too look for or not in the first place. Since you are at a good point, even when you are accustomed in using a Lightspeed in a regular B1, not applied in your DCB1 yet, that is a good sign. Even if you did not like it at all, no worries. No egos here. Just DIY.
Old 28th November 2009, 03:21 AM   #569
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malka07 View Post
Hi Salas,

Does this also apply to the NP B1 Buffer? R105 and R205 are 221k but on the outputs not inputs...reason i ask is i currently have a NP B1 buffer using a 50k alps pot in shunt mod using 47k series resistors. Sounds good, but i am wondering if using a 20k pot with 18k series resistors would sound better.
Also, i would like to try your version of the b1 buffer. As i already have a p2p version of NP B1 would it be easy enough to remove the caps and p2p the power supply for it? I cant seem to find the schematic for your version.

Thanks

Alon
In posts 10,11,12 here in this thread you can find the schematics. The original B1 has 1Meg resistors across input, before the wiper to ground nodes. For other reasons than here. Its 221k resistors across output do not interact with an input pot as shown on its schematic. I don't think that big series resistors after the pot, in line with the wiper help you at all. B1 has 1k gate stoppers that you must connect short and straight to the Jfet gates in p2p construction you use.
Whatever p2p you make, be careful if there is no input capacitor in your amplifier. If you miss something with DCB1 when p2p, you can even feed your amp with DC from 4-5V up to rail.
Old 28th November 2009, 04:27 AM   #570
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to merlin2069er
Takman metal film seem reasonably priced for the audio grade resistors.

Takman REY Metal Film Resistor

You can get them all on partsconnexion.

Last edited by merlin2069er; 28th November 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!